Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
jelp2
My Device: Z10/ PlayBook 16gb/64g

Compass, no good

[ Edited ]

I have a Z10, STL4 on VZ. I've had it for almost a year, since VZ release it. I don't recall having a compass issue back then, but it wont calibrate no matter where or how much I try to calibrate it. So I called VZ spoke to them, they patched me through to BB and BB suggested to replace the device. So I got my replacement, going through the set up it wanted to update so I click update. When (.1925) I restarted and tried the compass, no good. So I called VZ, sent it back and got another replacement. Upon receiving the second replacement, I skipped the update and tried the compass. It worked!! It was the OS that was shipped with the phone with a small patch update I think it was 10.1.0.2xxx?

So now I updated to the newest OS,,.1925 official from VZ, restarted, and now the compass is broke again. It will point in every direction EXCEPT for North!!!

So in the beginning  I thought it was a hardware issue, but it seems to be a software problem, maybe not working correct with STL4's? I don't know. But I have a few paid apps that require the compass and they're no good right now.

I  have seen scattered reports over the past few months about the compass not working. Does anyone else have this problem????

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30.

Re: Compass, no good

....But I have a few paid apps that require the compass and they're no good right now...

Hello, 

This could be your problem.

Go in "Application Permission" and disable the permission to those apps that are using the compass. See if there are any changes.... Then turn the permission back ON one app at the time and see which one interferes with the compass. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jelp2

Hi,

I've tried everything. Even after wiping the device and before installing apps or restoring data. Didn't work. On both replacements I never installed any apps, only upgraded the OS and that seems to be when the compass stopped working.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30.

jelp2 wrote:

Hi,

I've tried everything. Even after wiping the device and before installing apps or restoring data. Didn't work. On both replacements I never installed any apps, only upgraded the OS and that seems to be when the compass stopped working.

You probably haven`t try everything.... have you tried the Blackberry Virtual Expert?

Locate the "Help" icon on your device, tap to open and on the bottom select "Testing". Follow the instructions on the screen 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jelp2

Yes, I have tried that too, which led me to knave a comment that BBVE doesn't have a compass test.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jelp2

That should say 'to leave a comment '

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
keithbergoff
My Device: Z10, 9800

jelp2 wrote:

That should say 'to leave a comment '

Not necessary to submit another post, Options and Edit your previous post.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jelp2

I figured there should be an edit feature, but I'm posting from my BlackBerry and I didn't see the function.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
keithbergoff
My Device: Z10, 9800

Yes, you have to select 'full' version at the bottom to get 'Options'

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jelp2

I see where you're saying if viewing online, but I'm using the BlackBerry Community app, it doesn't have an edit feature. No biggie.

Please use plain text.