Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
eurokuzzik
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Connection to PC remains after disabling WiFi

[ Edited ]

I just found out also if you enable wireless sync via the BlackBerry link, windows creates two network drives when your BlackBerry is on the network even if you have the access to files via WIFI DISABLED on the phone. This in my opinion is a security issues as windows is not safe.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Connection to PC remains after disabling WiFi

Hello,

You are correct...if you configure Link to your PC and connect your Z10 to it via USB, then a "punch through" is enabled for your PC of the mapped drives, even if Link is not running. I agree this is a problem, but it is actually a totally different function than the WiFi enable/disable function on the Z10.

The WiFi enable/disable does not map drives to your Z10 onto your PC (that is done by Link). Rather, the WiFi enable configures your BB as a total device on your network, visible via your Network view, but not via your local PC drives view. Further, the WiFi method can be password protected, and you assign those credentials on the device and must use them when you access via your network.

My guess is that they decided that if you configure Link for your device with your PC, that your intent was that the connection be "trusted", and they enabled the "convenience" of making that persistent via your network even when they are not physically connected via USB. An interesting choice, IMHO, but I agree that you should be able to choose if that "convenience" exists or not.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.