Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Jbgas
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Contacts

Hi, i have an issue downloading contacts to my new Z10.
Basically my old 9810 was stolen, all my contacts were saved to bb protect. The new Z10 does not support the download method from bb protect.
I am self employed and have 500 contacts stored on a bb based system, which i cannot access on a new bb?!
Can some body advise me how to get this information and how such an oversight has been over looked?
My network provider can not help me nor can any technical wizz kid.

Thank you for any help in advance

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Contacts

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Depending on BB Protect as the sole method of protecting such valuable information has never been recommended. Rather, using BB Protect as a part of an overall backup process has been a good practice. That doesn't, of course, help you now.

The only thing you can do is get your hands on a functioning legacy BB and assign it to your BB ID. Then, you should be able to use BB Protect to restore to that BB. After that, you should be able to conduct the device switch process to get your data moved over to your Z10.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Jbgas
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Would it work if I managed to save data to a micro sd, say if a friendly o2 phone shop advisor let me borrow a demo phone in store.
Then put card in new phone to load up?
Bit cheeky, but don't ask don't get, lol.
I have a back on on pc, from 2 months ago, but unable to access via new bb link :smileysad:
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Jbgas wrote:

Would it work if I managed to save data to a micro sd, say if a friendly o2 phone shop advisor let me borrow a demo phone in store.
Then put card in new phone to load up?
Bit cheeky, but don't ask don't get, lol.

I've never used backup data on an SD card, except for BBM Contacts (prior to BBM7). So I don't know if that will work or not.

But let me ask you...what is your end desire?

• If it is to keep living "stand alone" on BB with a good backup strategy in use, then continuing on as you are may be the right course.
  • But, if you would rather migrate to a method where you can manage your data (Calendar and Contacts only) on pretty much any platform (e.g., Outlook client, Z10, other mobile devices, along with a web interface), then you might instead consider using the data you do have in an available backup and moving to that method instead.

You also need to consider if your backup even exists in BB Protect or not. If, for example, your device was not secured with a device-lock password, then whoever has it now may already have wiped out your backup files from the Protect servers...you should check, via the web interface to Protect, if they remain available or not.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code