Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
evtraun
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

DO NOT USE OUSIDE YOUR HOME AREA

Hello fellow Z10-ners

I just came back from the states. For the first 4 hours there I got 7 emails with no pictures and then a SMS came that I used 40 MB of data. $200.75+  GST. I guess there are background programs that use data and I didn't even use at all. I don't even use 40MB of data daily in Canada!!! There is no point carry a smartphone in another country if I can only use it for the phone. be warned!!!! Those guys at BB have to change the settings so that I can only use data for email and BBM. Before I went to US I deleted all I could, turned off the location services and still 40MB. BE WARNED!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: DO NOT USE OUSIDE YOUR HOME AREA

40mb is peanuts for a modern smartphone. You'll need to talk to your carrier about getting a decent plan for international data. Many carriers have add-on bundles for much lower international rates.

Alternatively, switch off data services while roaming via Settings > Network Connections > Mobile Network. 

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dreggen
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telekom

[ Edited ]

btw: a Deutsche Bank Manager got a bit in trouble telling other people their financial losses were peanuts :-S

BB wants to reach consumers from the design of the z10 too. So they should consider consumer data plans. Telekom offers a daypass with 50MB. A weekpass costs 3x and offers "only" 100MB. This is gone in 60 seconds if every app has access to the internet.

So I think the first posters idea makes sense. Give the user the ability not only to switch roaming totally off but allow only selected emails, bbm, apps, etc. while roaming. So you dont have to delete nice to have apps everytime you go abroad and can use your smartphone.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,892
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

And, another option is to turn off mobile network data and use WiFi only access for email, etc.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.