Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
chargerjohn
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Data Suppression

I am looking at upgrading to the Z10. I have been told that BB is not suppressing their data on the Z10. Is this true and why is this?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Data Suppression

I do not understand your question. What do you mean by "suppressing their data"?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chargerjohn
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

BB's data is recorded at 3-1, compared to other o/s, Android, Apple so I've been told. I have had a BB for years and never went over my data limit of 500 mb in a month. I switched to a Samsung for a very short term and my data went over my limit within 20 days, and left me with a higher bill and I then went back to a BB. The older model BB will still reduce the data sent to carrier (suppression on bb end) and have never gone over again. But I have been told the new Z10 and Q10 do not reduce the data any more. Before I upgrade, I want to confirm this

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I  believe the term you're looking for is data "compression" and not data "suppression".  

Yes, it's true...the new BB10 phones do not use data compression and yes, it makes a BIG difference.  As you correctly pointed out, older BlackBerry devices use about one-third the data of other smartphones.  Why BlackBerry went with this new approach, I'm not sure but I'd love to hear from someone who knows the official reason.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

My understanding is that people did not want to pay more for the BIS data plan (most carriers made the user pay an additional 1USD/month for BIS in addition to the regular data plan).

So BlackBerry did their research and polls, and the general wish from BlackBerry users was to suppress that BIS cost.

In the end it will cost far more for all BlackBerry users starting with the Z10 and the Q10.

This compression allowed by BIS concerns:
- emails
- browsing using the BlackBerry browser

other types of data through apps are not changed.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:
My understanding is that people did not want to pay more for the BIS data plan (most carriers made the user pay an additional 1USD/month for BIS in addition to the regular data plan).

________________________________________________________________________________________

To be given the choice would be nice.  I'd gladly continue paying more for full BIS on my Z10.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

I think you are allowed to continue paying for a BIS plan, even if you don't use it :smileywink:

but it is true that BIS had plenty of advantages.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pdnirc
My Device: blacberry torch
My Carrier: t mobile

Be aware if you upgrade to the Z10 that in case you travel abroad, you will have to turn off all its features.  The Z10 cannot behave as a normal blackberry, and use data roaming even in BB mode, which means it costs a fortune.  I called the Operator and BB and both blame the other, at the end you pay.  I have a brand new Z10 that I cannot use traveling, a waste of time and money, and a stupid step from BB. I believe their product manager should be hanged.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fred98tj
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

It's well known that the OS10 BB's do NOT use the BIS therefore there is no such thing as "Blackberry data". If your provider told you any differently, when you got the phone, either they didn't have a clue about their products or they just lied about it.

Fred

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pdnirc
My Device: blacberry torch
My Carrier: t mobile

So what you are telling me is that actually the BB plan does not work with the Z10 and therefore I should have not bought it in the first place?

Please use plain text.