Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Data Usage and Control on BBZ10

My Z10 data usage seem to be exorbitant. Can some one explain why there is a high data usage? is there an app which can monitor and analyse how my data is spent?
Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Data Usage and Control on BBZ10

There are a couple of apps in BlackBerryWorld which do this... one is Data Monitor for $0.99

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25739873/

Another is Data Check Pro

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/27566335/

There are a couple of similar free apps also.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Also keep in mind that BB10 devices do not use BIS as the legacy models do.  For this reason, the data to your phone is not being compressed and therefore you can expect to use about three times the data of what you're used to using on a BlackBerry device.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Trust me I noticed there was no data being compressed, I got my Z10 then Jsanders showed me apps to monitor my usage also I updated my usage to 1 GB from 500 MB!

Also my carrier monitored my data has well but $0.99 won't hurt my pocket lol

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 (previously had a Pearl Flip 8230)

I've seen estimates from 50% more data usage to 6 times when going from a legacy BIS-data compression phone to the BB10 series ... I have a BB6 Torch and use around 1G/mo in data on an unlimited data plan (no internet at home) and wonder if a 5G plan would be adequate with same usage with a Q10?
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10

"There are a couple of similar free apps also."

I can't locate these. Anyone know any names of these?

Also, I can't figure out how to change the filter to sort when I am browsing apps. Any hints?

Rush-O-Matic wrote:

"There are a couple of similar free apps also."

I can't locate these. Anyone know any names of these?

You can't click on the link above?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Thanks. Those links were not for free apps, which is what I was looking for.

I was having trouble finding one on BlackBerry world on my PC.  (But, am going to try Fire Chest, as that appears to be the only one that is free and will work on Z10.)  And, I am not smart enough to figure out how to sort on my Z10 after getting search results - once my search results are returned, for say "data usage", the 4 star, free apps are all mixed in with the 2 star $1.99 apps and so on.

Rush-O-Matic wrote:

Thanks. Those links were not for free apps, which is what I was looking for.

Correct. There are other similar free apps. Looks like you found one of them, FireChest. I'm not sure what you're wanting to sort out, if you've found it, get it. It's a good app.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  Fire Chest is the only free one I saw that works on Z10, but I may just be missing something - wouldn't be the first time! Fire Chest works well and as described. It's not headless, however, so depending what you're after, that's a big limitation.

As far as the "sort" goes . . . on my Z10 (not searching BBW on my computer), if I go to BBW, click on 'search' and type "data usage" in the search box, three apps and three games, music etc appear. I can click on the ' > ' more under apps and a number of apps (10 pages) are listed that supposedly met my search criteria. Each of these apps are different prices, but I would like to sort with 'free' at the top.

If I use the search filter method in BBW, choosing apps > categories > utilities > utilities > filter (top free) > 4+ stars

then, once I am there, I wish I could search among that subset for "data usage."  But, if I choose 'search' at the point, it opens the search back to the entire app world, not just free ones that are 4+ stars.