Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
gormana
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Data integrity bug? Wrong email address used when using reply.

Hi there,

I've searched for this on the net and did find one reference to a similar issue being reported here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/blackberry-z10-showing-wrong-e-mail-reply-contact-7...

When replying to emails that I've received, the recipient email address does not appear to be resolving correctly. I have several emails now when replying that were emailed to the wrong recipient (hence the data integrity comment). I use my BB for work and if I can't get this resolved in the next few days I will need to return this under the buyers remorse program from Bell.

I have applied the latest updates from Bell.

Model stl100-3 (z10)

os release 10.1.0.273

I'm using BES configured with Notes.

Anyone else running into this?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Data integrity bug? Wrong email address used when using reply.

Hi gormana and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

When you compose the reply, does the correct email address appear in the "To" field at all? Is there any other email addresses CC'd or BCC'd on the original?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gormana

When I reply, it only shows the first name. So, if I have an email from john.smith@someaddress.com, it only shows as John. I've had emails that bounce (when the email address can't be resolved) and ones that have been sent to the wrong recipient (where it resolves to something on the server). Also, I am seeing ones where if it finds a name match in my contacts list, it will use this contact info (which is also bad as it's only matching on first names) There are many users at my company reporting the same behavior - seems to have started sometime last week.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gormana

One additional observation - it's only emails from my corporate server. My personal emails are not exhibiting the same behavior.

Please use plain text.
VJA
Visitor
VJA
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

I just had a (senior exec) user experience the same issue on his Q10.  Upon replying to an email, one of the recipients got replaced with a different contact with the same first name, and what might have been a confidential email ended up being sent by the BB to an unintended recipient.  More details on what happened:

The first email arrived normally to the following users:

To: 'Fred Jones'; 'John Smith'; 'Jane Doe'

But the second email in the same string instead read the following in the To field

To: 'Fred Jones'; 'John

When the user replied to all on this second email, not noticing the truncated list of addresses, the email when to Fred Jones, a random different John (auto-resolved to a different contact without warning), and not to Jane.

When viewing the same email string from a full email client, there was no issues in seeing the full address list.  It was the BB that introduced the wrong John and dropped Jane.

The BB in question is model SQN100-1, running 10.1.0.4181 (10.2.0.424 was just released a day prior to this post).

Obviously this is a pretty serious integrity issue that shakes our reliance on BB's as being "more secure".  If anyone has any insight, we'd love to hear of a fix/resolution. 

Please use plain text.
m1caruso
My Carrier: Verizon

I have noticed the same issue today on my Z10 running 10.1.0.2039
Did you find any resolution?
Please use plain text.