Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: playbook 16gb

Data transfer

Have a Curve 8330, bought a Z10, tried to transfer data (contacts, memos etc) but told not possible by Bell & RIM bcause OS is too old.  Surely there is a way to do this.  I'm appaled that BB does not support their devices.  I have BBB files on my laptop but these are not transferable to the Z10. Help much appreciated as I do not look forward to retyping  hundreds of addresses etc

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb

Re: Data transfer

I am not sure about the device not being able to transfer your contacts and calendar.. But I have the torch 9810 and 9800 and it transfered fine. Maybe when the new BB link comes out with USB outlook Sync, it might support it.  A temporary solution is use your current phone and sync with your Outlook , then from outlook forward your contacts as a business card and email to your z10. Then just click on each contact and select add.  I am sure you can also save the .vcard files to your computer and copy it on your sd card and use file manager on the z10 to select each file to add to your contacts on the z10. 

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10, PlayBook

jibo55 wrote:

Have a Curve 8330, bought a Z10, tried to transfer data (contacts, memos etc) but told not possible by Bell & RIM bcause OS is too old.  Surely there is a way to do this.  I'm appaled that BB does not support their devices.  I have BBB files on my laptop but these are not transferable to the Z10. Help much appreciated as I do not look forward to retyping  hundreds of addresses etc

Which OS were you using on your Curve 8330? Does it have Blackberry Protect you can use to back up all your data and transfer to your Z10?
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook

"Does it have Blackberry Protect you can use to back up all your data and transfer to your Z10"

Protect doesn't work with a Z10 so there is no point in trying that!

Contributor

AA388 wrote:

"Does it have Blackberry Protect you can use to back up all your data and transfer to your Z10"

Protect doesn't work with a Z10 so there is no point in trying that!

Actually all my files and contacts were backed up on Blackberry Protect through my Torch 9800 before I switched, when I logged in with my Blackberry ID, everything (contacts etc) were transferred to my Z10. Can't say whether photos were transferred through Protect as well or just because I'm using the same media card, but everything that was on my Torch is now on my Z10, even if it wasn't saved on the SD card

Regular Contributor

"Actually all my files and contacts were backed up on Blackberry Protect through my Torch 9800 before I switched, when I logged in with my Blackberry ID, everything (contacts etc) were transferred to my Z10"

Maybe so but it wasn't protect that did that! BB10 can't read the protect backup file that you would have made.

Contributor

AA388 wrote:

"Actually all my files and contacts were backed up on Blackberry Protect through my Torch 9800 before I switched, when I logged in with my Blackberry ID, everything (contacts etc) were transferred to my Z10"

Maybe so but it wasn't protect that did that! BB10 can't read the protect backup file that you would have made.

Not sure, I've been getting Protect alerts on my Z10 and because I got a new micro SIM with the device, it's not that I saved my contact list on it so that's the only other explanation

Regular Contributor

BB Protect on the Z10 locates, plays a sound, messages, locks and deletes your data, thats all it does. Your old phone would have had a backup feature as well  and that used BIS to backup your data to the main servers, as the Z10 doesn't use BIS it has no access to that data.

It would be interesting to know what protect alerts you are getting though.