Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
pigfarmer
My Device: z10
My Carrier: o2 UK

Data usage

when I had a bb curve, my data usage was 0, I woudl se a lot of data but nothing seemed to get logged. 

now with my z10 I am always running out of data before the end of the month, I woudlnt say I use it that much but it seems to get eaten up quickly. I know the magic <insert word for the process> of shrinking data has now been stopped, but is there  a way to find out what is eating all my data? any background things?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Data usage

[ Edited ]

You can go to Application Permission and go throughyour existing apps to see under INTERNET which one had the settings set to ON. By opening the app, you should be able to turn the INTERNET access ON or OFF. LOCATION and GPS features could also be eating away at your data.

Edited to ad:

Also, the number of email accounts you have in your HUB and the way they are set up to sync, will make a difference. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pigfarmer
My Device: z10
My Carrier: o2 UK

Ok great thanks for that, 3 areas that I know i havent looked in yet so thast good. I am at teh start of a fresh month too so will be able to judge.

- A few questions though Location and GPS - im surprised that is now included in 'data'?

- email, now the reason i have loved BB is that email is instant, are you suggesting that I need to let it only sync every now and then? I only have one account added!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

pigfarmer wrote:

Ok great thanks for that, 3 areas that I know i havent looked in yet so thast good. I am at teh start of a fresh month too so will be able to judge.

- A few questions though Location and GPS - im surprised that is now included in 'data'?

- email, now the reason i have loved BB is that email is instant, are you suggesting that I need to let it only sync every now and then? I only have one account added!

With only one email account you shouldn`t worry about. however, if you have 4,5,6 accounts and they are set to sync every 10 min, that data consumption could ad up - specially if you are trying to manage a small data plan.

Location - that`s a very general term because it can include the network (data) as well as the GPS.

GPS - it shouldn`t require data unless, if you enable this feature, it automatically tells the app to "look" for network and download the map. The GPS, apparantely, its not that accurate if used on its own that`s why some apps are prompting you to turn ON "network based" location as well.  

Please use plain text.