Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Delete on HANDHELD only?

With BB10, we lost the option to delete on Handheld only. This is UNACCEPTABLE. 

I started a general discussion in the BB10 category, as this problem affects BB10, not just the Z10.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-10-Smartphone/Cannot-delete-messages-only-...

With the Twitter App that is ridiculous and this problem, I wouldn't have bought the Z10 yet. 

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Delete on HANDHELD only?

Just set the number of days to sync to three or even one. That way the emails drop off after that period of time.

There is no delete on handheld only. This is just how the system works. All the other devices work the same way, Apple, Android, etc. They all use the same system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

John_Clark wrote:
Just set the number of days to sync to three or even one. That way the emails drop off after that period of time.

There is no delete on handheld only. This is just how the system works. All the other devices work the same way, Apple, Android, etc. They all use the same system.

Often I want to keep an email for future reference. For days, weeks, sometimes months. What you are saying is also removing me from another email feature. 

Great, just *&&"&$& great. 

Why fix it if it's not broken... 

I hope BB wakes up and brings us back a feature that was very useful to many. 

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

With people leaving BlackBerry in droves for iPhone and Android, what should BlackBerry have done? They went to the platform that all the other devices are using.. if you get an iPhone it won't have this feature. I realize you wish it wasn't gone but what other options are out there at this point? I've found many other missing features on the device but there is no other device to leave for and get those features back.

Depending on your email provider, you can create folders and organize your inbox, as well.

You do know that 30 days is the max sync time on the device, right? After that they drop off. That isn't the case with all devices. My iPad has the ability to set "no limit" to the number of days to sync. You need to find the device that is right for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

I understand what you are saying. Wasn't expecting to lose an important feature (for me), a feature that has been on BBs forever. It's like removing the one button mouse for Macs. 

Even on the Playbook it's possible. So, I'm not accepting this as a possible answer. 

Guru I

I don't have the option on my Playbook.

There are lots of features that have been on BB forever that are now gone. When I get a message and pull the device out of the holster it doesn't open to the message. I can't customize profiles, add custom profiles, etc. It's difficult to get used to but, again, there isn't a better device to switch to. We can only hope BB listens to us and brings back features we need/want.

They recently reversed a decision not to offer desktop wired sync due to overwhelming opposition to the removal of that feature. Since the feature you refer to is not a function of EAS and IMAP I doubt we'll see that feature added back. It may be possible with POP accounts but IMAP and EAS are meant for full sync and mirroring of the server.
Contributor
My Carrier: Koodo Mobile

iPAD isn't using Activesync

My Device: z10
My Carrier: orange

Oh GOD. I have just deleted a pile of emails off my new Z10 thinking it would only delete on the handheld, and now I find I've deleted them off the computer as well. This was a brilliant Blackberry feature in the past - I used it constantly, especially if I was away and couldn't be bothered to deal with emails till I returned home. PLEASE BB bring this feature back. I'm having enough trouble trying to type sensible words without a proper keypad, this is just another headache I don't need!

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Telstra

The main reasons I liked Blackberry (I've had a Bold, a Storm and a Torch) were:-
1) Rapid multiple e-mail deletions possible (now removed from the Z10 - each email has to be removed individually)
2) Could delete emails from the handheld and leave on the server. (Now removed from the Z10)
3) Physical Keyboard - Bold, Torch etc.

4) The mouse (as on the Torch - it's very useful for cursor positioning).

5) The phone looked and felt of a higher quality than other products. (Z10 is still good but not quite as good as some others, ie HTC ONE and iPhone 5).
I was starting to like the Z10. Then found out to my cost that I'd deleted all the **bleep** emails from the server. If I didn't know better, I'd say someone (at BlackbBerry) has tried to sabotage the Z10. If I were the boss, I'd fire their development personnel. They don't seem to have Blackberry's best interests at heart.

Having spent a large amount of money on this phone, I'll be forced to go back to the Torch - which, let's be honest, has fallen behind most of the latest cream of the crop phones; HTC One, Xperia and the S4 Samsung, iPhone etc.
I'm bewildered why BlackBerry removed features that could have been left on the phone. It must have cost them time, money and effort to take them off.
Have I missed something here or are BlackBerry trying to alienate themselves from old (and new) customers? I've been one of the strongest advocates for BlackBerry in the past. - A brand I used to have immense respect for.

I feel really let down.

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile

The elimination of this feature is a reflection of RIMS has a fundamental misunderstanding of how BlackBerrys are used in real life. My device is my business lifeline when I am outside the office. When I am reading more than 100 e-mails in a day on a small screen on the fly, I know that I can make mistakes, particularly by inadvertently deleting an e-mail. At the same time, I do not want my device cluttered with unwanted emails simply because I am concerned about accidentally and permanently deleting an important email. This feature needs to be restored.

To the extent that it may be helpful to others, I have set up a new email folder entitled "Handheld Delete" in which I am filing emails I am not sure should be permanently deleted.

To RIMS - you have a uniquely valuable product. PLEASE stop imitating the worst features of your competitors.