Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
bbhelp88
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: PCCQ
Accepted Solution

Deleting Emails on Z10 - IMAP

I use IMAP on my Z10 for email.

When I delete a message, the message seems to permanently disappear. Is there a way for these to go into the trash and permanently delete when the trash folder is purged?

What is the Wastebasket on the Z10 for? The deleted messages don't seem to go there either?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,880
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Deleting Emails on Z10 - IMAP

There is no wastebasket on the Z10, you can turn on or off the message deletion confirmation if you wish.

Deleting a message deletes it from your server as well. If you need to save the email message, use the File command instead.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Emilio
My Device: Curve 3G 9300, Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Dear JSanders,

I believe you wrote, in an earlier thread, that the 'Leave Messages on Server' option would not be returning on the BB Z10.   Is this definetly the case?   

I have loved BB for some years.  I use this for my business and have 3 desktop computers, all of which get email for multiple addresses.  My BB is an adjunct device to the business desktops and heretofore I could always delete mail from the device and it would leave the messages on the server and on my associates' desktops.  This OS 10 raises the question about how I can now use the Z10---either leave hundreds to thousands of emails on the device or lose them on the server.  This is not an acceptable choice. 

I find it difficult to believe that Blackberry would omit the ability to leave the messages on the server; after all, BB has been the king of business smartphones.  Absent a better solution, I will have to return the device and go to another technology. 

Thank you for any reply! 

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,880
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I don't know if that option will or will not return -- if I said that it was in reference to the actual ActiveSync technology which the way ActiveSync is designed, it only mirrors the same message it sees on your server. So to delete one in one place would delete it as well in another place.

I hope BlackBerry is considering this issue as well.

But, Emilo, for your business solution, wouldn't it be wise for you to File those emails instead? Or, why not?

(at least as a work around until the overall issue is resolved?)

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Belladog
My Device: Blackberry 10
My Carrier: Z10 Rogers

I have been confirmed by Blackberry that there will be a software update to include leaving a message on the server. Blackberry can give no date, but only that it is being worked on.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

[ Edited ]

IMAP doesn't actually transfer all the messages from the server; it is a client-server protocol that allows multiple devices to be attached to one network storage location (the mailboxes involved.)  Each attached device effectively gets the messages as you read them.  Most cache to some degree to improve user responsiveness but the fact of the matter is that in an IMAP environment the user's device is effectively a terminal to a central filestore.

A change made on one device propagates immediately to all, since the actual storage is on the server itself.  In addition IMAP inherently supports push email via the "IDLE" command on a given mailbox, allowing all devices attached to a given emailbox to receive immediate notification of changes (whether due to a new message being recieved or a change made from a different attached device.)

If you wish to have a "volatile" emailbox that has a separate filestore from that used on other devices then fork the mailbox on the server.  This is what I have done for years for this very reason -- my email box is "karl@denninger.net", but my phone has a "private" copy that is under a different name that gets a copy of all incoming emails through the alias function at the server.

Thus I can delete everything on the phone and it does not impact the main email storage.  I can also file things separately if I want or need to (and sometimes I do, for example, airline ticket confirms, etc.)  I have dozens of folders on my primary email store going back 2 decades; I do not want this visible or accessible from my phone, although I could choose to do so if I wanted to.  IMAP makes the choice mine rather than a function of implementation as was previously the case when email ran through BIS.

This is, incidentally, a vastly better system in that I have several machines that all sync against the "main" email box and a change made on one immediately shows up on the others, and since it's all standards-based it interoperates with clients on any platform irrespective of operating system.

The option you seek can't "return" in an IMAP environment as it never existed.  Creating it would violate how IMAP works and could cause severe problems if you have multiple devices all accessing the same mailbox.  Blackberry could probably hack in something to do this, but IMHO it's a very bad idea within the framework of the IMAP protocol.

You could/can get where you want to be with POP, but I recommend against using it for a number of reasons including the fact that POP cannot does not cleanly support multiple device access and does not support push.

The easiest and best way to get what you want is to fork the incoming email stream on the server to a mailbox that is used only for the phone.  This is effectively what BIS used to do with previous Blackberry devices.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Emilio

Thank you for the suggestion.  I don't know how this works.  I see the "file" option and tried it.  The message is off the server.  Where does it now reside?  More importantly, how would filing the message keep it available to my associates' desktops in the office if it disappears from the server?

Appreciate your help!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

[ Edited ]

FILE moves it to the folder you specified.   It is not "off the server" when filed -- it is moved to the folder specified on the server.  Again, IMAP is a client/server protocol and the actual email is on the server, not the client machine.

I have a folder called "Archive" that I created; you can create a new one by pulling down the arrow on the top level of the account and then selecting (hold) the mailbox top-level -- it will bring up the sidebar and the option to create a new folder will be presented.

Once you file a mesage in a folder it is moved there on the server and remains accessible from any other device that is attached to that emailbox.  If you select the email account for display off the top level then you see everything in all folders; if you select only one folder (e.g. "Inbox") then your display is restricted to that folder.

Most IMAP servers do not permit nested folders (there are a few exceptions but most are restricted to a single level of folder under the account.)

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Emilio

THANKS very much!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bbhelp88
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: PCCQ

I believe that other email clients operating under IMAP move the deleted email message to a folder called Trash. The email then sits there until the account is purged and then all trash items are permanently deleted. The iphone (my previous device) did this. It was handy because you can get back at deleted items on any device as long as the mailbox had not been purged in the meantime.

The blackberry does not seem to do this. It immediately purges the deleted item and as far as I can see, the wastebasket which sits as a folder on my email account is useless.

Please use plain text.