Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
mrdomenic
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: TMobile
Accepted Solution

Deleting Messages off e-mail server

Hi...very new to the Z10 and working through some issues.  I'm trying to get my Z10 to delete the message off my e-mail server when I delete them off the phone.  For example, I delete Gmail emails from the phone, but if I log into Gmail the deleted emails are still in my inbox.  How do I fix this?  Thanks in advance!

Mark

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Deleting Messages off e-mail server

My guess is your using POP and not IMAP or EAS.

There is a setting to keep messages on mail server but turning that off will remove them from mail server.

Best to use IMAP so device mirrors mail box with deletes.

You might not be able to use EAS as google blocks this now.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mrdomenic

I'm using imap and under "folders to sync," draft, inbox  and sent are checked (looks like by default). I thought that would automatically fix the problem, but no luck.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

How long are you waiting for them to delete? This is a low priority task and can take some time.

I just deleted one and it took about 20 minutes to delete from webmail on my gmail account.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mrdomenic

How long was I waiting?? Not long enough!...I didn't know it took so long. I was checking almost immediately then manually deleted them from Gmail server.  Chalk this one up to an impatient newbie.  Thank you very much for your assistance!!

Mark

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

knottyrope wrote:

My guess is your using POP and not IMAP or EAS.

There is a setting to keep messages on mail server but turning that off will remove them from mail server.

Best to use IMAP so device mirrors mail box with deletes.

You might not be able to use EAS as google blocks this now.

Sorry to cut in on the thread, but my situation is similar.

I'm using Gmail (free version) via IMAP.  Current settings:
*When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:  Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server.
*When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:Move the message to the Trash

In my case, when I delete a message from my Z10 (STL-3; 10.1.0.2014), the message is removed from my Inbox and archived, but not deleted. I have waited up to a couple of days with specific test emails to see if it would work eventually -- no luck. This has been happening on each OS10 version, 10.0 to current.  I have tried all the possible combinations of the settings, no joy.

As you seem to be experiencing the proper behaviour, could you please share your gmail settings?

Thanks, ecm

Edit:  I have tried setting up via EAS, but yes, it's unavailable to me.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

Ok it does archive it. I never noticed that before as I hardly ever log in with a PC. I guess this is so Google can track you better over the years.

My Outlook.com email does delete and not archive and can use EAS with it.

I also have my other Outlook.com email fetch my Gmail now since Google would not grandfather it for EAS.

IMAP is not as enhanced as EAS is. I dont even have it enabled on my Exchange server at work since installing Exchange 2003 in year 2005 as EAS is great.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

knottyrope wrote:

Ok it does archive it. I never noticed that before as I hardly ever log in with a PC. I guess this is so Google can track you better over the years.

My Outlook.com email does delete and not archive and can use EAS with it.

I also have my other Outlook.com email fetch my Gmail now since Google would not grandfather it for EAS.

IMAP is not as enhanced as EAS is. I dont even have it enabled on my Exchange server at work since installing Exchange 2003 in year 2005 as EAS is great.

I'm sorry to hear that yours just archives instead of deleting, same as with me.  At least I'm not missing something.  And I too have looked as migrating to my Outlook.com account.  (I like everything except the fact that my sub folders that I have created will not sort alphabetically.  There's a KB acknowledging the issue.  It's unfortunate, since this issue was a deal breaker, causing my company to kill plans to buy 60+ Q10's/Z10's.)

Thanks for checking.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

elessar wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that yours just archives instead of deleting, same as with me.  At least I'm not missing something.  And I too have looked as migrating to my Outlook.com account.  (I like everything except the fact that my sub folders that I have created will not sort alphabetically.  There's a KB acknowledging the issue.  It's unfortunate, since this issue was a deal breaker, causing my company to kill plans to buy 60+ Q10's/Z10's.)

Thanks for checking.

I just search on device and it will look at all foders that are sync

If looking at teh fodler yeah its a minor issue to me but for some its knot

Please use plain text.