Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
ghartmanBB
My Device: Z10

Deleting Sent messages on Z10 permanently deletes them on server

On my previous BB Bold when I deleted Sent messages, they remained on the server (and therefore in my desktop Outlook. When I delete them from my Z10, they are permanently deleted from Outlook. How do I fix this?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Deleting Sent messages on Z10 permanently deletes them on server

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There is nothing to "fix", for it is WAD -- Working As Designed. The methodology was changed with BB10 from what existed before. Now, the device and the server are intended to be replicas of each other -- what you do on one will reflect to the other, and there are no settings to alter that functionality.

Workarounds are to file items to folders on your server rather than deleting them via the device interface -- you of course have to then alter your desktop operational methods as well since the items will no longer be in the Inbox but instead in the folder to which you filed them.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
ghartmanBB
My Device: Z10

Thanks for the quick response. I now understand the "why" but not sure about the "how". The big issue is with Sent items that are already (automatically) in the Sent folder on the desktop - when I delete them on the device, they also disappear from the Sent folder on the desktop. The only workaround that I can see is copying myself on every email I send and then filing those copies. Am I missing something else?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

For Sent Items, I'd recommend just not deleting them on the device. They intrude not at all unless you look directly at the Sent Items folder. Unless, of course, you have not yet configured the interface to "hide" your Sent Items?

There is presently no ability to "file" Sent Items to any other folder. Given their actual purpose (a record of "Sent Items"), doing so would alter their intended purpose from a record keeping standpoint. I tend to actually agree with the way this is designed. Since Sent Items can be hidden from the Hub, they in no way intrude by their existence.

Perhaps I do not yet truly understand why this is an issue for you...but, alas, the capabilities are what they are. It is the humans who must figure out how to adapt their processes within the limits of how the device functions.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code