Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: z10

Device Storage Details shows Other data with capacity 11.9 GB after updating to OS10.1

After upgrading my Z10 to OS 10.1 the storage device shows that other data with 11.9 GB with no reason, i didn't download alot of apps or games, only the default apps with couple of other apps, the Device is so slow and i have to restart the device more than three times in the last 2 hours.

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Device Storage Details shows Other data with capacity 11.9 GB after updating to OS10.1

Hello demo501

Welcome to the forums. 

When you are looking at your device storage do you see a button that says "Device Storage Details" ? 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Re: Device Storage Details shows Other data with capacity 11.9 GB after updating to OS10.1

I have the same problem as the thread starter after upgrading to 10.1. The device storage details shows my other data taken up more than 11GB of unknown data.
I browse the file manager and go to device storage->misc->android, and I found 2 copies for each folder of music, pictures, videos and also some of other folder which actually should be on the root directory. I also noticed that each of those, I suspected, duplicated folders have the same amount of items as the ones on root directory. I tried to delete the items but it give me warning of operation not permitted. However I found the amount of items has become 0, but then I realized all the music and videos stored on device storage are gone. Funnily the data other data size is not decreased, it stills 11GB. I did the security wipe in the end of the day. Nothing stored with the fresh security wiped device but the other data shown 4.7GB of data.
This is very disappointing.
New Contributor

Yep. Same issue with mine.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook

SmoothRider wrote:

Hello demo501

Welcome to the forums. 

When you are looking at your device storage do you see a button that says "Device Storage Details" ? 

As far as I know that is the button you have to press to determine if you have been hit by the Other Data Gnome.

Do you have any information to offer as a solution to get rid of it perminantly without wiping your phone?  Sick of wiping this phone I got better things to do than baby sit my SmartPhone.

I am astounded at the inability of the BlackBerry community to address this.  I am besides myself that BlackBerry corporation hasn't provided adequate documentation about this issue.

Regular Contributor
My Device: bbz10

It sucks how this is just ignored. Another post that says solved says "delete apps until you find out which one is using all the space"

Seriously?

Now this is happening to me and I just convinced someone to get the z30

I need an app that can sort all the data on my device by size and present it in a clear, easy to understand format.
New Contributor
My Device: Z10

I had this same issue for months and i finally figured out where my other data was coming from. In my case it was PODCAST. I discovered this after reformatting my SD card to clear up space. I copied all of my music, video and pic files to my external drive then reformatted my SD card. As an experiement i didnt put back my media files but started listening to a few podcast for a few days, long behold when i loooked in Media Card Details (in Storage and Access) my music, video docs, and pictures remained at zero while other data had grown to 400 mb in two days. Even after deleting the podcast thru the app the other data still remained. the only way to remove it is to refomat the SD card again. Iguess that streaming apps such as Apollo and Songza store files as well.