Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
gregcoad
My Device: Not Specified

Device memory filling up

I keep getting pop-ups telling me that the device memory is almost full and that I should consider moving some files to my sdcard.  Sounds easy right...  Well, there are no substantial files on the device memory from what I can tell.  A few pictures and misc. browser downloads.  The problem seems to be that there is no way to tell many of the applications (including the ones native to the OS) where to store files.  They all seem to default to the device with no option to designate the sdcard as the storage location.  Examples are:

1.  Browser downloads (these can be deleted easily enough)

2.  Podcasts (there is no folder anywhere on the device or sdcard that I can see for podcasts and the applications that I have tried for podcasts all have no option for sdcard storage)

3.  DropBox Pinned folders.  (If I select "Pin DropBox" option, all of my DropBox files are synced to my device to some hidden location in the built-in device storage.  No option for sdcard usage is given)

So a couple of questions:

1.  Why don't all applications have the option to allow the user to designate where data is to be stored??  Seems that this is common across many (all) applications which leads me to believe that this is a limitation of the current API.

2.  What happens when my device memory hits 100% usage?  

I feel like there is nothing I can do to get rid of the constant annoying pop-up other than to "Unpin DropBox" or start deleting podcasts.  Both of these solutions would represent major sacrifices in functionality in my view.  What is BlackBerry doing to remedy this issue?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Device memory filling up

Hello,

Please specify your device, OS level, and mobile service provider. You've posted this in the Z10 arena, but what you describe is definitely not BB10-like symptoms. So I just want to be sure before anyone proceeds.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gregcoad

Z10 on Telus. 10.0.85.

It is absolutely BB10 behavior. There is no option that allows the user to designate where some of these files are stored. Browser downloads, podcasts, and DropBox pinned files are just a few examples of data which the user has no control over.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
milin
My Device: bakberry z 10

exactly, even i am having the same issue with my z10. When i purchased the phone i had 12.3 GB of free memory and now it has come down to 10.4 GB free that too without installing or downloading anything. Whwn checked in settings, it shows OTHER DATA used 5.5 GB. No idea where is this data stored on phone. The only thing that i know is that device software is built on flash(internal)memory thats why it shows free meemory as 12.3 GB when you purchase the phone.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

Sounds like the recent software updates may use more memory? Not sure exactly what the issue with that is.. all seems to be working fine for me. :smileyhappy: I have 16GB total and 10GB free.. and I don't have any issues with that..

What exactly is the issue?

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

milin wrote:

Whwn checked in settings, it shows OTHER DATA used 5.5 GB. No idea where is this data stored on phone.

I also show "other data 5.6gb" used. The other can include OS files, the apps (and there are many pre-loaded), and a great deal of data synced to your device over the first few days in connecting contacts, social media contacts, etc., and lots of databases such as media cache files.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gregcoad

Read the initial post please. We all know that the OS and apps take up space. That's not what the question was about.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

gregcoad wrote:
Read the initial post please.

Understood. I was replying to milin.

To your initial post and follow up statement, you're right, there is no control over where some of this app data and such is stored.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

@gregcoad,

I am not seeing a pop up saying that my memory is low, perhaps a call to your carrier's Blackberry support team may be in order? :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gregcoad

You will once you get to 95% full. I'd like someone from BlackBerry to tell me what happens when you get to 100%. Seems that this is a major shortfall of the BB10 OS.
Please use plain text.