Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
JamesDee55
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant
Accepted Solution

Disabling 4LTE

Just curious, if I disable the phone from using LTE ( which is possible in the options menu ), will this save any battery power when the phone is on , and not in an LTE area ?

I dont really require a super fast connection to my phone, so speed to me is not really an issue.

Are there any benefits in disabling LTE, or drawbacks ?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Disabling 4LTE

Yes, disabling it will save battery power.

Cheers.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

With the Z10:

Settings

Network Connections

Mobile Network

Network Technology

In the Network Technology pulldown I have selected HSPA+/UMTS/GSM  The LTE does not work in this mode. I found the phone battery lasts about 20% longer. In this mode the phone indicates 3G at the fastest speed. I tested it, and it is working at about 2 mb/sec at the fastest. With full speed turned on I have seen it working at more than 20 mb/sec. I occasionaly test the phone's internet speed using a local speed test service. 

Also turn off the WiFi when not requireing it. With WiFi turned on the phone is constantly searching for WiFi connections. Run the screen brightness at a lower setting, but bright enough for you to work comfortably.  Close apps that are not required to be left open. Opened apps on the phone's desktop increase power consumption.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JamesDee55
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

I will try that starting tomorrow. The main reason I want to disable it is because for some reason my phone gets really warm to the touch when I am outside, and simply checking facebook, or just checking my bank account online, as I think this has something to do with the phone either trying to access LTE, or is in the LTE zone, I am not sure.

When my phone is connected on Wi-Fi, it barely gets warm at all, and I can use the phone for hours inside, with never a heating issue.

And yes, turning off Wi-Fi when not using it, is also a very good idea.

Please use plain text.