Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
bstella
My Device: 9300

Disappoiting News on the BB Z10

I am currently a 9300 user through T-Mobile looking for an upgrade to the Z-10.  My phone is owned by me and does not go through an enterprise server.  I travel internationally extensively and use the BB international data program to mitigate high data roaming charges.  When in the USA, I use my phone in an area where receptions is slim and none, relying on WiFi or UMA calling capabilities.

Here is what I was told when I inquired about upgrading my phone:

1.  The WiFi calling is coming but no date has been set.  It appears that UMA will not be part of the BB/T-Mobile offering.  With that said, when is the WiFi calling implementaiton going to be available beyond 'soon'?

2.  As to the data and using the BB servers to retreive email and BBM overseas... I was told that that will only be available through an enterprise set up.  As to POP and SMPT separate accounts, that is not offered by Blackberry on system 10 platforms.  However BB will continue to support the non-enterprise mail retrieval on older operating systems.

The question here is ..."Is that true?"  If so, then I now have to go to the Bold or some other older model just to prevent high internationla roaming costs.  That is taking a step backwards in time.

If in fact it is, then I don't get it.  Why market limit a phone (software implementation when one is trying to expand the user base to save the company?

Anyway, I would curious to hear from anyone with ideas.  Thanks

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: Disappoiting News on the BB Z10

I have no problems using the Z10 to retrieve my emails from my ISP accounts. I also retrieve emails from Yahoo and Hotmail with it. A large part of my communications is with email.

I never used any WiFi based phone call software. In fact, I don't trust using WiFi because of security isses with WiFi. I use the mobile network only for data. I use WiFi only at home and sometimes at places that I can fully trust.

Anyone with the proper skill and resources can gain access to devices on the WiFi system, and they can monitor the activity.  There are WiFi service providers who keep detailed user activity logs of their systems.

Jerry G.