Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Billyrock
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Email Sync Frequency

[ Edited ]

One of the reason I love Blackberry is the instant push messaging.  In the email accounts I've set up on the new Z10 the quickest "Sync Frequency" is 15 minutes.  Is there a way to have my emails pushed instantly like on my 9900?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Email Sync Frequency

Hello,

It depends on the email service provider...if they support PUSH and the Z10 can sense it during the setup process, then there will be a slider to activate it, and the refresh frequency will be grayed out. With some email services, you can force it by, rather than the default configuration, set it up via the advanced screen, and integrate it as EAS...I believe Google supports that (server m.google.com), but I'm not sure about others.

Note that, with the "old" BIS method, the interval for non-PUSH supporting services was also 15 minutes...though with an algorithm shortening that interval after any successful retrieval from the server, but lengthening it out to the maximum 15 minutes if there was nothing to do. So, in a sense, BIS was PUSH from the end user perspective, but PULL from the server (unless the server supported PUSH, in which case BIS could as well).

Anyway, see if your email service provider can support an EAS setup via the advanced configuration screen, and then you might be able to achieve PUSH.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

If you have a free gmail account set up prior to Jan 30 you can use this method to integrate your gmail:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33472
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Billyrock
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks fro the replies. I get what you are saying but, my S3 and my son's Iphone have 5 minute sync frequencies, why doesn't the Z10?

Why does this device seem like so much work to set things up? Like one other person put it..."I've never had to try so hard to like a phone before"...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

For non-PUSH email systems, BlackBerry has always had a 15 minute cycle. With BIS (prior to BB10), BIS would check the email server every 15 minutes. If nothing is found, it waits another 15 minutes. If something is found, then it shortens that cycle, slowly lengthening it back to 15 minutes if nothing further was found.

For BB10, if you configure as above, you actually will not have control over the interval, because PUSH is active, completely negating the interval. It is only for non-PUSH email environments that BB10 gives you actual control over the interval...but no more frequent than every 15 minutes.

As to "why"...well, you'd have to ask that of actual BlackBerry employees who have that knowledge...and, on this site, they would actually be barred from providing such an answer as it requires having "insider information". My guess is they wanted to most closely replicate what BIS used to do...which was a 15 minute interval.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

If you are able to configure via ActiveSync (e.g. if your provider supports it) then mail will PUSH to the device. If you configure via IMAP then the device will poll the server at intervals you can sometimes control in the settings for that account. A POP account will also poll at intervals you set up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
edupres
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telus

I have a similar issue, not with frequency of email push but rather the amount of time it will sync back. 30days is ridiculous. What if I need to read an email from 6 months ago. At least before I could transfer old emails thru backup and switch to new device am I supposed to go get an I phone just so I can have unlimited access to my email
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

edupres wrote:
I have a similar issue, not with frequency of email push but rather the amount of time it will sync back. 30days is ridiculous. What if I need to read an email from 6 months ago. At least before I could transfer old emails thru backup and switch to new device am I supposed to go get an I phone just so I can have unlimited access to my email

Hello,

You are not alone in that desire. However, as with the last issue, we are not the BB Programmers, and therefore cannot change it. Hopefully, they are listening and will provide something different in the future. But, for now, it is WAD -- Working As Designed.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.