Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10 and Playbook
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: Email account broken with 10.1.0.4181

I think from edriss post that it is not the upgrade process that causes this problem, rather the new OS version will not allow the setup we are trying to have.

He points out (in his separate post) that even a setup from scratch post mr update  results in the same issue, therefore a factory reset is unlikely to work for me to restore my functionality; except it will remove the erroring account - which is something i guess.

I wonder how the newly leaked 10.2 version compares....probably the same I guess.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, 64GB. Z10, Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

jasonthespaceman wrote:

I think from edriss post that it is not the upgrade process that causes this problem, rather the new OS version will not allow the setup we are trying to have.

He points out (in his separate post) that even a setup from scratch post mr update  results in the same issue, therefore a factory reset is unlikely to work for me to restore my functionality; except it will remove the erroring account - which is something I guess.

I wonder how the newly leaked 10.2 version compares...Probably the same I guess.

Exactly!

Im downloading the 10.2 right now and report.  I have not had any success with other leaked versions.  and the worst thing is, I can setup the offending account on a "From Scratch" load and setup the imap the same way and works like a charm, but I can not then reload "setting" from my backups which contain my LIFE depending password keeper information, without once again loading the offending account. ------------> all the way back to square one again <--------------

BlackBerry protect no longer supports password keeper on OS10 so that is a no go.  I have over 8years of content in my password keeper with detailed information about my clients and life, writing out one by one is out of the questions.

Im in the midst of building a detailed report on the issue.  But from what I have gathered so far, is that the issue is simply the Google apps account hangs because it doesn't know which email address to place on the login page.   details to follow in my new post...

Current Devices: PlayBook 16GB, 64GB. Z10, Q10.
Past Devices: Bold 9000, 9700, 9790, 9900. Torch 9800, 9810.
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE

I really hope there is a solution to this, as it seems this is not an uncommon problem and it's pretty much unfathomable that RIM can let this slide.

I've had to reset to factory conditions and reinstall/setup everything again, as a backup made once you have upgraded to 10.1.0.4181 is incompatible with lower versions. So my backup is useless :/

I really hope the eventual 10.2 upgrade resolves this, as I think the Q10 is great - and with the new Android runtime could be perfect... but this Gmail issue is a dealbreaker and I have a Galaxy Note waiting for a SIM card... Smiley Happy
Contributor

My gut feeling is the same as you, that:

"the issue is simply the Google apps account hangs because it doesn't know which email address to place on the login page."

Fingers crossed there's a solution... looking forward to your report!
Contributor

Your back up is not useless. 10.2 does not fix this, this is an oversight as majority of gmail users do not use this setup that you and I use.

I have a solution, but have not been to create one for the Q10. I will post my blog post in a few hours on how to on the z10
Contributor

Here is a detailed write up of the issue at hand, workaround, proof of concept, how to reproduce the issue and a few resources. 

Someone else has to fix this issue, who is smarter than me...

http://edriss-kb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/blackberry-z10-imapgmail-problem-and-os.html

New Contributor
My Device: Z10 and Playbook
My Carrier: Telstra

Good write up edriss - thanks!

I had already upgraded to leaked 10.2 as well and decided that I could tediously rebuild everything from scratch without backup - so I am sorted for now; but you made me realise that I might need to dance your awkward four-step next time an upgrade comes along - so THANKYOU.

Contributor

Thank you. I'm glad I was some help.

I will think about my updates in the future to, and also resort to the old school of backup before upgrade.

I would have done the same but the I really needed password keeper data. Which I could not restore without restoring settings which includes email stuff
Contributor
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

In case it helps, here's exactly what I did to solve this problem. When I tried to duplicate it using the correct gmail address, I kept getting a message saying the account existed already. This was when I was logging in using the Google page, which happens automatically now when you set up a gmail account. What needs to be done is to set it up like a generic IMAP account like before.

I went to Settings/Accounts and then added a new account. I created a new email account with a fake email address that was NOT gmail. I was then prompted for a password. If you ignore this and tap the screen, you will see "advanced settings" at the bottom. If you click on this, you will see something similar to the old generic IMAP setup. On this screen I entered the correct gmail address and alias and all has worked well since. Like I said, the only quirk is that I have two of these accounts in my setup page, but I don't care.

Contributor

Hi Cavitron! Thanks for your contribution - so does this mean you can send mails (from the 4181 updated phone) via Gmail but using another address as an alias?

Thanks Smiley Happy