Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Empty pictures folder?

I have a Z10 and when I open the Pictures app and then go to Albums, there's a Folder called "Pictures" that supposedly has 14 files in it. Except..it doesn't. It's empty. If you long press the folder and select delete, nothing happens. Open the folder and there's nothing there.

I have searched my external media card and there are no hidden folders/images/files, so it must be something on the internal storage. I can't get that to mount on my PC though which is strange.

Anyone else seeing this? Or know of a way to get rid of it? Is there a way to wipe the internal storage without wiping the entire device? Don't really want to do that...

Retired

Re: Empty pictures folder?

Hi greggov,

Plug your BlackBerry Z10 into your computer, then browse the media card using your computer's file explorer.  Find the Pictures folder to see if anything is in there. 

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the response. I tried that last night - hooked it up to my home laptop where both volumes do mount, and enabled "show hidden files" on the laptop. Browsed both internal and media storage, and didn't find anything that could be the cause. 

Yesterday there were 14 items in that folder and right now there are 16. Trying to figure out what I've done that would cause that number to increase.

It doesn't seem to affect anything, it's just annoying since I don't know what caused it and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Retired

When you were browsing the pictures while connected to your computer, how many photos appeared?

Thanks

-CptS

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

look in the camera folder for pic you took, the pictures folder is for pics you sync

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

Cpt_Sweatpants wrote:

When you were browsing the pictures while connected to your computer, how many photos appeared?

Thanks 

It was in my "photos" folder, and within that folder I have a few different folders/albums. Each of those show up correctly with the right number of images in each.

I think I have a guess though. It's like the internal storage needs to be reindexed. I put some images on the internal memory before I had my microSD card. I also placed some ringtones into a ringtones folder I created. I noticed though that they were showing up in the Music app, so I deleted them (Music really should just scan within the music folder, and not for anything that's a music file). Then yesterday I was changing some notification sounds and saw that the names of a bunch of the ringtones that were there, but then deleted, were showing up in the drop down lists. 

I think the same thing must have happened to those photos. Deleted, but for some reason the device still thinks they exist. There are also a few albums in the Music app that appear but I can't delete. And again, these do not exist anywhere on the internal storage OR media card. I've unhidden all files and dug through each folder and nothing is there. I've also removed the media card to confirm that it's not a problem with the card. 

Is there a way to force the device to reindex storage? Or a way to reset it (like the 3 button reset on the PB) that will clear caches or whatever? 

Retired

Typically removing and re-inserting the media card will re-index the music stored on the card. As for the music on the internal memory, I would try removing the media card then do a battery pull to see if the music you deleted still appears.

Thanks.

-CptS

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yeah the media card is fine. I tried your suggestion of removing the card and rebooting, but the files are still showing up...both the ringtones and that mystery "Pictures" folder. Strange.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 / Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

I have the exact same problem. Have you had any luck in finding out what the fix is?
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: o2

Looking through the phones' internal memory without a computer, I noticed a folder titled 'misc', and inside is a folder titled 'Android' (this micro sd card had previously been used to port some files over to a friends' Samsung galaxy ace phone but there is no 'misc' or 'Android' folder on the memory card unless it was already on the z10) and inside were two folders titled 'Pictures' and 'pictures' (difference between the two folders through upper and lower case 'p' in each word) I can't remove the 'misc' folder from my phone directly but question if possible from a computer or is it necessary to the phones' internal memory but have not tried this method yet to find out if the whole empty 'Pictures' folder is to do with these 'misc' and 'Android' folders