Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Encrypted then decrypted my SD Card - now files are corrupted!

Hello all,

First post, registered here to get help regarding a bad issue.

A couple of days ago I decided to encrypt my 32GB Class 10 SD card with 1700 camera images for security purposes.

Yesterday, I decided to change my mind, as the encryption was interfering with photo and video capture, making it very slow. So I started the decrypting process, but had it on pause until I got home and connected my Z10 to a power source.

Now you see, I'm familiar with encryption on BlackBerry models since when I worked there from 2012-2013, I was asked to encrypt my corporate device...but it was a 9981, which used the older encryption model, which is not compatible with the BlackBerry 10 encryption. So there's that.

Anyways, after my Z10 had finished decrypting the files, I noticed to my horror that none of my images in the camera folder will load anymore. The thumbnails are still visible, but after I tap on an image, I simply get a broken file icon.

So as it turns out, all my camera folder items (photos & video) as well as some other images that I downloaded between this escapade are now corrupted. Every single one of them.

Now I'm left scratching my head and wondering how I am supposed to recover all these lost memories.

I did take a backup on June 24, and specified all files to be backed up. Will this have also backed up my camera folder?

Thanks for any insight.

Edwin

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Encrypted then decrypted my SD Card - now files are corrupted!

Your device backup would not have backed up the media card.

However, did the device media sync to your pc at that time? If so, you should have the images.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The media sync is actually very unreliable on my machine, as only 40 or so pictures are every synced.

If the backup indeed doesn't back up the images, then I suppose it's gone for good...

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I think your only hope then is what might have synced when you were connected to Link.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code