Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Excessive Drainage of Internet Data

Hi!! 

I have purchased Blackberry Z10 on 29th March 2013.I have been facing this problem of                                                                                       " Excessive Drainage of Internet Data"  on my Phone.

My usage of internet on phone is only to sync Emails,Facebook,Twitter and Whats app.Further I don't do any kind of  heavy downloading. I am using 2G internet service of Airtel in which I get 2GB Unlimited 2G Data usage.When I noticed I found that in only 8 hours of usage of Internet on my phone and even not downloading any heavy files or data I am losing more than 200MB of Internet Data which is unexceptable and unreal. This problem I have already faced earlier in which I lost 650 MB of Internet Data only in 5 days..

I have reported this problem to my service provider several times but they always say that the problem occured is not on there behalf , the Internet Data is being utilised on my phone itself.

Its my request to the Blackberry team to kindly rectify this error occurred and  help me on this problem and provide a solution on urgent priority  basis.

Regards 

Anurag Lal

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10 * Q10 * Z30 * Passport
My Carrier: Telkom Mobile

Re: Excessive Drainage of Internet Data

[ Edited ]

Hi There,

Your data usage seems unusual, mine does no more than 50MB in 24 hours and I use it often to check facebook, twitter and other apps. Try to go into your Settings, Location Services, set Traffic Data Collection & Location Based Adverts to "Off" and see if there is a change? Could it be you are leaving your maps running in the background or some GPS app? Also do you have any application for streaming audio like Nobex Radio?

New Contributor

Hi!! 

I did as u said but still there is no change.In just 2 hours it is consuming more than 40MB... I want to know why such kind of problem is occuring and provide me solution on this behalf.

Anurag

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Your usage does appear to be high for what you say you're using your phone for.  Keep in mind that the Z10 does not use BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) like all other BlackBerry devices do.  Because of this, you don't get BlackBerry's data compression.  My data usage tripled once I started using the Z10 due to this fact alone.  Granted, I do download more because of the improved browser but even with that fact, my usage would be much higher if I continued with my previous downloading habits.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

The Z10 is no different to any other modern smartphone in this respect. My Z10 uses about 50mb per week for relatively heavy useage, not counting downloads. streaming, BBM video etc that I choose to do. Compared to other smartphones, the Z10 is certainly no data hog.

As with any phone, it is a smart to do the initial setup on a good wifi network, otherwise your wireless data plan will be used to

• download and install the latest OS update
  • initial 30-day e-mail sync
  • initial contacts, calendar, facebook, twitter etc syncs

Once these initial syncs are done, the data usage will be much lower.

Installing and using apps may increase your data usage of course. Some 3rd party apps are not well written and check for updates every few minutes, causing battery drain and data waste.

BIS is no longer needed, because most internet protocols such as http have compression built in nowadays.

As with any new gadget, you'll probably use it much more heavily in the first few weeks. Having a modern smartphone with a large screen and fast browser, you'll probably use it a lot more for internet-related activities. Both of these will affect your data usage. If you've come from a feature phone or BB7, an increase in data usage is to be expected. Welcome to the digital age.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

[ Edited ]

<post deleted, no longer relevant>

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor

Dear Sir,

You are not getting what I am trying to say!! Even if Iam  not using my phone,its just kept idle in my pocket , then also its consumes heavy amount of data.

Like today only I checked in just 3 hours it has consumed 51MB of my 2G Internet Data.Currently only my Yahoo Mail,Facebook and Whats App is running and nothing else.I think this is a major problem faced by me which is not taken care of by BLACKBERRY people!!!!!  Rightnow I am not using my phone for any kind of Internet surfing... One more continous problem I am facing is of whenever I switch ON my data services and it starts consuming my internet data my phone starts heating up!! 

This is genuine problems faced by me and I am highly disappointed by this.. Blackberry needs to provide me solutions as earliest as possible.

Anurag Lal

Developer

Which 3rd-party apps do you have installed, besides Whatsapp? Whether they are running or not.

New Contributor

I have installed

• UC Browser Mini,
  • TV on the Go
  • ,Photo Studio,
  • Pic Mix
  • Games (such as Beach Buggy Blitz,Retro Run,Angry Birds Star Wars,Chasing Yello,Asphalt7,Jetpack Joyride,Trial Example,Golf Putter & BasketBall 3D)
  • Gaana
  • Mapmy India Navigator  

None of the above apps are running.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I would recommend removing these apps one by one, starting with Whatsapp, to determine if they are causing the problem. Even if an app isn't running, it may be consuming data without your knowledge, for instance if it has malfunctioning push notifications or an Android background task.

Also, check whether your Box or Dropbox apps are syncing, that developer mode is off, and that diagnostics are switched off (both under Settings > Security).