Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

ayhap
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Frequent automatic rebooting ...

I live and work in downtown Toronto.  I purchased my Z10 on 2 days ago and I've noticed to very strange things:

1.  When walking around at lunch hour, the device will randomly reboot itself ... it typically does this at least 10 times per day (more frequent if I'm on the move a lot).  How do i stop this from happening?

2.  I put the device in "Bedside Mode", then when i wake up the next morning, the device is completely shut down and i have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to turn it on.  Is this normal?

Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Frequent automatic rebooting ...

Hi ayhap and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

Have you been experiencing this behavior since you purchased your BlackBerry Z10? Have you installed any applications recently?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jackkapica
My Device: PlayBook

My Z10 is also rebooting frequently. Yes, I added some games (hangman, Angry birds, Freecell, CBC Hockey Night), but nothing that is constantly running. 

This happens when I pull the Z10 out: There will be nothing on the screen, and so I click the on/off button at the top. At this point I will see a screen with apps on it flash by, and then it goes to reboot.

The Z10 boots quickly (faster than my old 9810), but it's still a pain. It shouldn't happen.

Jack

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Viper7129
My Device: Z10

I'm having the same random reboot issue.  Had the phone for 7 days now and it reboots 2 or 3 times a day.  There are a number of other threads about this both here, and on the Crackberry forums. I even took it back to the AT&T store and exchanged it for another Z10.  The new one has the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sinnaz0790
My Device: Z30

This happens to me as well i switched it for a new one and same thing it doesn't happen as often but it did this to me a few time i even reloaded and reinstalled apps from scratch and i did not even restore from a backup and it started behaving the same a a little while after I'm currently Working in trini and it's a pain at times..This morning i simple opened up the notification tab it froze and restarted i mean simple os usage n this happens and it's a second device i have it this continues i feel i would just switch to iphone or android it's a new phone i paid a lot and is becoming disappointed...Think it's an os bug or something!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sinnaz0790

can u have someone at least review the logs from a couple users and see if it's os related this way you guys can prob dev a patch or something to fix this reboot issue.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

[ Edited ]

Check the free memory on your device (under Settings->About->Hardware) and see if you're losing RAM.

There are apparently some reports of a memory allocation leak.  I'm not seeing this on mine, but it may be workflow dependent.  I would not be surprised if Blackberry has a watchdog in their code for potential memory exhausting that forces a restart if the condition arises and cannot be cleared in a reasonable amount of time as memory exhaustion can lead to a deadlock (which is really bad!)

IF that's going on then there's a problem that needs addressed, and isolating where it's coming from will help.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sinnaz0790

Yup just realize that i'm doing nothing and only 1.1gb free just now it was @900mb they really need to release a proper update n iron out these bugs . I'm willing to send my logs etc for review to assist in fixing these issues.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sinnaz0790

Just did a battery pull now I have 1.3gb mem free Def some mem leak issue they need to fix this oui wonder when the nex proper Os update coming I heard about the 10.1 dunno if that's rumors or true but they definitely have to make some major adjustments cuz it can also have some negative effects on their sales and the q10 as well

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

Aha... well, whatever your workload is, it's generating a RAM leak.  That ought to be fairly easy for Blackberry to find, given the magnitude of it.

If there was a way to ssh into the phone and take a look at the working set of the processes isolating which one(s) are involved would be pretty easy.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.