Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
NJZ10
My Device: Z10

Future OS Updates

Any word on whether future OS updates will come straight from BlackBerry, or will they be distributed by the carriers?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

Re: Future OS Updates

My Z10 asked to update when I first set it up.   I would hope future updates would be that simple like windows update. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-

Updates will be made available through the carriers still.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

Thank You 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-

[ Edited ]

andrew21212 wrote:

My Z10 asked to update when I first set it up.   I would hope future updates would be that simple like windows update. 

When updates are available you will get an alert in your notifications section of the hub.  Depending on your data plan and the size of the update you may want to wait until you are in wifi coverage to download it. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

-BD- wrote:

Updates will be made available through the carriers still.

I sure wish you hadn't said that.  That means long, slow update processes for many carriers just like before.   Ugh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
NJZ10

[ Edited ]

:smileysad:

Is there an "un"like.  Again going through the carriers.  What a terrible idea.

Same old, same old.

That's one thing that Apple eventually got right.

Oh boy.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hopefully there will be a way to get around it -- just like pre-BB10, using PC/USB, and deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s).

Given that the primary support channel is likely to remain with the carriers, it does not actually surprise me that they will retain responsibility for OS certification and release to their user base. From all I've seen during this "re-making of BlackBerry", I haven't seen anything that tells me the support model is changing at all.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-

Just to correct what I said a bit.  The OS updates themselves will come from us either OTA or via Link.  They do however have to be certified by your respective carrier before they are made available.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

So does that mean one carrier will get the update before another or will it be rolled out to everyone at the same time once all the carriers approve? Having so many different OS versions is such a pain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.