Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
bdunn709
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: GMail + OS updated to 10.1.0.4181, Email doesn't work anymore

Yes me too. If you could post the fix I would be grateful as well.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
edriss
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, 64GB. Z10, Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Here is a detailed write up of the issue at hand, workaround, proof of concept, how to reproduce the issue and a few resources. 

Someone else has to fix this issue, who is smarter than me...

http://edriss-kb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/blackberry-z10-imapgmail-problem-and-os.html

Current Devices: PlayBook 16GB, 64GB. Z10, Q10.
Past Devices: Bold 9000, 9700, 9790, 9900. Torch 9800, 9810.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
edriss

Here is a detailed write up of the issue at hand, workaround, proof of concept, how to reproduce the issue and a few resources. 

Someone else has to fix this issue, who is smarter than me...

http://edriss-kb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/blackberry-z10-imapgmail-problem-and-os.html

edriss wrote:

Hello,

I'm creating a new post as the original post seems to have turned into a chatroom and the issue is still not solved

Below is the original problem another user posted and I (and my wife, and probably many people have the same problem)

After the 4181 upgrade one of my email accounts is broken. It was a gmail account set up through the IMAP setup, not gmail. I did this because, I need a "reply to" email address that is not gmail. This option is not possible if the account is set up as a gmail account. It worked like a charm until the upgrade (it also worked well with all my previous BlackBerry devices from OS 5 and on) and now it doesn't work.

The issue is that it is asking me for a password. However, when I go to account settings and select the offending account, I get only a white screen. There is no option to enter the account information. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that the new OS forces a very basic login setup for gmail accounts. I personally prefer choosing my IMAP and smtp servers myself. Anyway I cannot enter the password and I cannot even delete the account and start over as the delete option is on the account info page that I cannot access the account. When I try to add a second account it says that the account already exists

To recreate this issue:

1. “Settings”

2. “Accounts”

3. “Add Account”

4. “Email, Calendar and contacts”

5. Enter *****@gmail.com email address

6. Dismiss keyboard by holding the space bar or two fingers down

7. “Advanced”

8. “Gmail”

9. Enter "description, Display Name"

10. Username should be populated with your ********@gmail.com address, if it is not, enter your gmail email address

11. Change "Email Address" field to *********@mycompany.com (Alias email account, it has been setup in the setting as the “send as email address”, but even if this alias email address is not registered in the gmail settings as the “send as email address” the problem is the same)

12. Hit “Done”

Problem!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
joesparrow
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: EE

Hey Edriss - wow, thanks for figuring that out and for such a thourough explanation! Thanks for putting the time into sorting this out.

I fully agree with your conclusions:

"This issue is not due to user error; it is inherent issue/oversight in new OS later than the FIRST OFFICIAL 10.1.x.xxx RELEASE.  This practice of using an email alias account for your Gmail account is VERY COMMON.  We do this as we have a bad ISP, Domain Host, or choose to utilize Gmail Technology as our main mail handler due to IMAP support.  This is a serious issue.  Our friends at BlackBerry got to take this seriously and resolve this matter."

My solution has been to reset back to factory conditions (Q10 had 10.1 installed from the start fortunately) and to re-install everything. It was a huge pain, all because of a simple oversight in the software update.

I hope this is taken seriously by Blackberry and resolved when they release the full 10.2... else I will simply be forced to move back to Android, which is frustrating for all sorts of reasons! How do we get Blackberry to become aware of this issue?

Thanks again for your work :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edriss

Joe,

I'm glad you are sorted out. And thank you. 

Until BlackBerry has this issue sorted out all you have to do is delete that account and you are good to go with a OTA upgrade. 

I'm not sure how we could get BlackBerry's attention on this matter but I hope someone sees my posts. I have also email crackberry so they have some connection that might connect for us. 

If all else fails; my company is a BlackBerry software reseller and I will reach out to my sales rep and see what he can help with. 

All the best and enjoy your dev. Btw os 10.2 is wickedly awesome. If you are comfortable I highly recommend loading it 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
joesparrow

Thanks again for your help! I have stuck with my original plan at the moment, which is having downgraded to factory-fresh BB10 OS. The stuff in my backup was saved elsewhere, so was just as easy to start afresh.

Can I just ask, please - I've read your workaround a few times - bearing in mind I am reset back to Q10 factory OS (10.1.0.238) do you think if I erased these gmail accounts, upgraded and re-added them, it would allow me to send mail under my gmail alias email address? Or is this simply not possible on the new 4181 update? This is the most important thing for me - I don't want work emails sending with my @gmail.com address.

I also got in touch with the @BlackberryHelp twitter help account. They were not very helpful. After 24 hours, and many DMs, this was their response:

"Due to the complexity of your issue, please contact your carrier or network provider for live investigation, diagnosis, and resolution. ^CS"

...which is very blatant buck-passing. Of couse, I replied immediately saying that this was not acceptable considering it is an issue with the software update - i.e. software as designed & provided by Blackberry, not my network, etc. but who knows if they'll respond? :smileysad:

Will let you know. I have asked them to escalate it to someone more senior...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edriss

My pleasure. 

Yes that will work. As long as you delete the account before the upgrade, there should be no problem, unless something changes. 

I have tested that scenario on my z10 on all leaked OS upto 10.2.0.1047. 

So just delete the account, backup, upgrade, then start fresh with new account. This way you will have all your app data and just have to wait for your emails to get downloaded. 

For extra piece of mind, I would do a back up before deleting the email acct

You should send @ blackberry help a the like to my kb... I will now too

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdgreen
My Device: Not Specified

Same here, the entire HUB system seems to be broken!  Previous OS to 4181 worked perfect. Whoever released this new MR needs to go back to school

sdgreen

North Saanich, BC,CANADA

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edriss

sdgreen wrote:

Same here, the entire HUB system seems to be broken!  Previous OS to 4181 worked perfect. Whoever released this new MR needs to go back to school

sdgreen

North Saanich, BC,CANADA

Please see my work around as a solution

Please use plain text.
Contributor
joesparrow

Thanks again :smileyhappy:

I linked to your post on this topic in my communication with @BlackberryHelp... but I don'y know if they bother ed to read it... might link to this forum too so they know how many people are going nuts over this problem!

WIll let you know...

Please use plain text.