Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
sabres
My Device: Z10

Gmail - all messages vs new ones

I have a question about gmail with my new Z10.

For previous Blackberry devices (Curve, Torch, etc), when I set up my gmail to go to my phone, I only received new messages.  Once I received messages, I could keep them on my phone or delete them from my phone, with any changes only affected my phone.  For example, if I received an email, I received it on my phone, and in my gmail account.  If I deleted it from my phone (ie. handheld), it stayed on my gmail account.

When I set up my Z10, I appear to have downloaded *all* of my gmail messages (lots of them!).  This isn't what I prefer.  And, if I delete a message from my phone, it also deletes from my gmail.

Ideally, I'd like to receive gmail on my phone, but have the ability to delete them, without affecting the messages in my gmail account (ie. the way it used to be with my previous devices).  The way things stand now, I end up with hundreds of messages in my "Hub", when in reality, I only want to keep certain ones.

Did I set it up wrong?  Or, is there no way of having messages appear as they did on previous devices?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Gmail - all messages vs new ones

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You didn't do anything wrong...it's just that things are very different.

Prior to BB10, there was BIS, which functioned as an intermediary between your BB and your email server. BIS offered many functions, including rules as well as the "delete on" capability.

Now, with BB10, there is no BIS. Rather, it's on-device ActiveSync, which is designed to replicate your server mailbox (within the max time limits) to your Z10. So, delete on the BB, it deletes from the server, with the reverse also being true.

Some ActiveSync clients (on "other" platforms) still offer a "delete on" capability...but currently the BlackBerry ActiveSync implementation does not.

To keep the main Messages lists uncluttered, a work around would be to file messages away to a separate GMail folder/label (though, there is even a small but surmountable issue with that).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
sabres
My Device: Z10

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code