Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
willjansen
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

Alright. I'm going to create a new Gmail address for testing purposes and see what I can do. I'll take screen shots doing both the Active Sync and default setup methods and post the results here.

Did you try the default setup (without going into advanced settings)? If you did, let me know your results on that front too.
Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi
My Device: Z10 & Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I had an ActiveSync account set up and when I exchanged my phone I restored the settings and the account wouldn't authenticate. I didn't get the 403 error but no matter what password I put in, it wouldn't authenticate it.

I deleted the account and tried re-adding it, and I started getting the 403 "service is unavailable" error. I gave up and added it the normal way and it successfully created IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV accounts, but I'm not entirely happy about that due to the slow sync cycle of IMAP.

I'm now wondering if I shouldn't have deleted the account... but without authenticating, I was stuck anyway.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes I did and that works but creates 3 accounts, one for ur email, one for ur calendar and one for ur email. Plus it does not synch very well or at all.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
thequeue

It was mentioned here and elsewhere that ActiveSync should be working for free gmail accounts that were set up prior to Jan 31st.

I'm getting the same 403 error that someone else mentioned in this thread and elsewhere in other forums. I've had my gmail account set up on my playbook for a year using active sync. Shouldn't it be working on my z10 then?

I can't get CalDAV or ActiveSync to work on my Z10

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium

Its not you or your account.. its the Z10 that's not allowing this to work.. for me a deal breaker..
Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi

[ Edited ]

What is the proof that this is the device that is blocking it? How would that make sense when there are people who are able to do it while others are not?

I'm fairly confident that a swapped out Z10 counts as a new device activation for Google, hence they are blocking new activations of ActiveSync.

For the record, I played with Outlook.com and it syncs beautifully with ActiveSync. I'm considering a switch.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium

[ Edited ]

Because I have installed it on a new Ipad and a new android phone and it did work. I then went back to the store (within hours of exchanging the phone) and got my old phone back (yes I checked  the serial number) and it had been wiped clean.. so I fired it up. updated it with the latest updates and then tried the account again.. Guess what it did not work. If it was new device thing then you could say the same thing about the first Z10 device not working as that was new device and I just got that a few days before, yet it worked till it got an update.

It is the Z10.. not Google or the new device..

Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi

How is that conclusive at all? You tried it on your old Z10 and it didn't work. Don't compare it with iOS or Android. Of course it will work with Android, they have a vested interest in making it work for Android. And for iOS, you can be sure that Apple and Google have a contractual deal to make this stuff work seamlessly (Google Sync had ActiveSync settings especially made for iOS users).

It's Google standing by their word to stop allowing new connections via ActiveSync. If you had stayed on your original Z10 it would continue to work.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium

Seriously, ah well lets examine shall we. Works on my first Z10, does not work on it after the update. Second Z10 as soon as I turn it on, want to do an update and after the update when I try to setup the account no matter how much I try it does not work.

On Friday I tried to set it up on a new client Z10 unit (By the way she has a paid account), hmm no go.

Works on a new Android device and works on aiOSdevice..

Multiple users are complaining about this same problem, my carrier tech support says that it does not work.

Yea you are right Google has a vested interest in Android and Ios but no blackberry that's why it does not work.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
willjansen
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

[ Edited ]

"It's Google standing by their word to stop allowing new connections via ActiveSync. If you had stayed on your original Z10 it would continue to work."

This is most probably what is happening. Google has publicly stated that they would cutoff Exchange ActiveSync support for free Google accounts on January 30, 2013. However, paying customers that use Google Apps for Business, Government, and Education can still use the Exchange ActiveSync protocol to sync their Google mail, contacts, and calendars. Ars Technica has a good write-up covering Google's actions, motives, and potential problems for iOS users regarding the issue of disabling ActiveSync for free users.

Google probably allowed for a small grace period after the official cutoff date to accomodate lagards, which luckily happened to include myself and a few other Z10 owners who managed to configure their Google accounts with ActiveSync before they disabled new device activations.

This would provide an explanation for people who setup their Google account on their Z10 with ActiveSync, swapped for a new device, then failed to setup that same account with ActiveSync on the new device a few short days later. As Google stated in the first link above, they will continue to support ActiveSync on devices that are already setup, but they will not support new device activations.

It is unfortunate that Google's "winter cleaning" had to happen right around the Z10 launch date and cause this confusion, but the ActiveSync problem is most definitely occuring on Google's side and has nothing to do with Blackberry or the Z10. This can be verified by the fact that Outlook.com accounts can be synced to the Z10 using ActiveSync (default) without any problems. I just did it myself, works like a charm.

Google's primary reasoning for disabling ActiveSync support for free accounts is that comparable standards-based syncing protocols are now available, including IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV, and fully supported by Google. This is why Gmail account setup on the Z10 automatically defaults to those standards-based protocols.

I did a little bit of experimentation on the weekend to verfiy what I found on the internet and test out the limits of the different syncing methods. For the record, I synced my primary Gmail account with ActiveSync the day after the Z10 came out in Canada, on February 6, and it has been working great since I set it up. I haven't experienced any downtime or anything, which I assume means that Google's ActiveSync is working fine for existing users.

I setup a test Gmail account to test out the account setup options on the Z10. First, I tried to setup the new account using ActiveSync. I received the following message:

"Service for account (xxx@gmail.com) is not available. Access should be available soon. [Error Code: 403]"

I tried the ActiveSync method a few times over the course of 24 hours and received the same error every time. This is consistent with Google pulling ActiveSync support.

Next, I setup the new Gmail account with the default setup procedure. This procedure essentially sets up 3 different accounts on your phone for your email, contacts, and calendar, respectively. After setting up this way a few times, I found that I may or may not receive the following message:

"Your email and contacts accounts were successfully added. At this time, the www.google.com/calendar/dav/xxx@gmail.com/events server is unavailable and your calendar account can't be added. Please try again later."

If I see the message, the calendar fails to setup. Email and contacts work fine and, although I didn't test the difference, syncing seems to be on par with ActiveSync. Email is received on my phone as soon as it is received in my Gmail inbox on the web and composed messages are sent instantaneously from my phone. Contacts updated simultaneously on my phone and on the web.

If I don't see the message, the calendar does manage to sync up, but I am not able to edit the calendar from the Z10. Blackberry is aware of this issue and is actively working on a solution. Again, I didn't have time to test, but when I setup the Lightning calendar extension to Thunderbird on my computer last year, I added all of my Google calendars using CalDAV and didn't have any problems. I also managed to setup a few Google calendars on my Playbook last year using CalDAV, although currently they are all setup with ActiveSync. This is most likely a problem on the Z10's side, which I would chalk up to release bugs that will most likely be fixed soon with a software update.

To summarize:

• The only reliable way to sync Google calendars with the Z10 is through ActiveSync.
  • Google no longer supports ActiveSync activations on new devices that are linked to free Google accounts.
  • Google does still supports ActiveSync activations on new devices for paying Google Apps customers.
  • The other option for syncing with Google calendars, CalDAV, is not currently working for the Z10.
  • Blackberry is aware of this issue and is currently working on a solution.
  • If Google calendar syncing issues are a deal-breaker, hold off on buying the phone until the issue is resolved.

*Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention a couple of things. First, I have the Z10 updated to the latest software and my original ActiveSync is still working, so I don't think the software update broke anything on that front. Second, I tried to add individual CalDAV calendars from Google (through the advanced setup) and the same thing happened as described above. I would either get an error, or the calendar would sync once, then be uneditable.

Please use plain text.