Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Reply
New Member
kgeneral10
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-17-2013
My Device: z10
My Carrier: ee

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

thanks for your detailed instructions

 

sadly, despite doing as you stated, I am getting the following...

 

Service for account

is not available, Access should be available soon

(Error code 403)

 

any ideas guys? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi
Posts: 154
Registered: ‎06-23-2012
My Device: Z10 & Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Google Calendar not syncing


kgeneral10 wrote:

thanks for your detailed instructions

 

sadly, despite doing as you stated, I am getting the following...

 

Service for account

is not available, Access should be available soon

(Error code 403)

 

any ideas guys? 


Are you trying to add an EAS account or a normal IMAP account?

 

The solution at this point is to add a Gmail account as you normally would (not EAS) and it will set up IMAP, CardDAV, and CalDAV accounts for you. It all works now with the latest updates. EAS will not start working if it wasn't working before, because that's a blockage on Google's end.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tamatwes
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎03-17-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sasktel

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

I tried the solution but not working for me. I then downloaded Google Chrome but my BB10 doesn't want to open it; do I need Java or something else?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tamatwes
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎03-17-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sasktel

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

Thanks but not working; I received the following error code 403:service for account not available. Access should be available soon

 

Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tamatwes
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎03-17-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sasktel

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

Thanks but I received an error code 403: service not available for this account and access should be available soon

 

any advice?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎02-15-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

BB z10 does not work when u try to use active sync., I have tried it with multiple devices and accounts and it is a Black Berry problem. People have tried to tell me it's Google and all kinds of other stuff without wanting to admit its Black Berry ( they are in denial) what I don't understand is why they would not want to point out the issue to Black Berry so it can be fixed, instead of trying to put the blame on everybody and everything else and the are not doing Black Berry a favour because if the product does not work for u the way it should, u will return it and nobody wins. I am back on my BB9900 because it works!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
willjansen
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

Please note that ActiveSync is no longer supported by Google for free Gmail accounts. Please read the following link, or go back and read the entire thread for more information.

http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2012/12/winter-cleaning.html

The good news is you don't need ActiveSync to properly sync with Gmail anymore. Gmail and BB10 both support standards-based protocols for syncing email, contacts, and calendars (IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV, respectively).

When the phone was first released, there was a bug on BlackBerry's end that prevented proper calendar syncing using CalDAV with Google Calendar, but that has since been resolved. You don't need to do anything special to setup your Gmail account to use these protocols, BB10 defaults to that configuration. All you have to do is enter your email address and password. Do not enter Advanced setup.

As a side note, if you absolutely must have Gmail ActiveSync with your BB10 device, you can upgrade your free Gmail account to a paid account. Google still supports ActiveSync for paid Google accounts.

Again, for more information and clarity on the subject, please read the ENTIRE thread. Me and a few other people spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting this issue and discussed it in full in the previous posts of this thread.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎02-15-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

You will note the following sentence in that blog link you have posed.
"Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement."
I have tested it with several Business Accounts and also Free accounts which by the way work on new devices that have not had that setup on them before, but does not work on the BB Z10.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Indisium
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎02-15-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Google Calendar not syncing

Using IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV is a big mess as you get three accounts created when setting it up that way and it's very confusing for people when they have more then one email account. (  I deal with a a dozen companies whose users use multiple handsets from which they access  email accounts, most of them have 2 to 3 personal email accounts including Gmail and Hotmail and at least 1 or 2 business accounts through exchange server)

 

This is not the answer to this mess. I wish people would stop posting links to the Google announcements regarding the elimination of Active Sync.. most people have read it and do not need it re posted.

 

You guys can keep posting that link over and over, FACT IS THAT BB Z10 does not do synch properly.. even when connected to exchange server it fails to synch consistently.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
willjansen
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Google Calendar not syncing


Indisium wrote:
BB z10 does not work when u try to use active sync., I have tried it with multiple devices and accounts and it is a Black Berry problem. People have tried to tell me it's Google and all kinds of other stuff without wanting to admit its Black Berry ( they are in denial) what I don't understand is why they would not want to point out the issue to Black Berry so it can be fixed, instead of trying to put the blame on everybody and everything else and the are not doing Black Berry a favour because if the product does not work for u the way it should, u will return it and nobody wins. I am back on my BB9900 because it works!!


Indisium wrote:

You will note the following sentence in that blog link you have posed.
"Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement."
I have tested it with several Business Accounts and also Free accounts which by the way work on new devices that have not had that setup on them before, but does not work on the BB Z10.

 

This is not the answer to this mess. I wish people would stop posting links to the Google announcements regarding the elimination of Active Sync.. most people have read it and do not need it re posted.

 

You guys can keep posting that link over and over, FACT IS THAT BB Z10 does not do synch properly.. even when connected to exchange server it fails to synch consistently.


I posted the link because it appears that new people are trying to sync their free Gmail accounts to their Z10s using EAS. I wanted to direct them to the most reliable source of information regarding this problem, which is Google's announcement that they cancelled EAS for free Gmail accounts last month, a fact that you conveniently forgot to mention in your first post that I have quoted.

 

If these people have a free Gmail account and are looking for a solution to a syncing problem, not only is reading your post not helpful, but it might actually send them on a wild goose chase looking for something that doesn't exist.

As for using EAS to sync the Z10 to paid Gmail accounts, I can't comment. I do not have a paid account that I can test with. However, I do have an Outlook account synced with my Z10 using EAS, and it is working great, which leads me to suspect that the Z10 can handle EAS perfectly well, assuming there is support it on the service side. Furthermore, I seriously doubt the people looking for help at this forum are specifically looking for help syncing their paid Google Apps accounts with their Z10 using EAS.


Indisium wrote:

Using IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV is a big mess as you get three accounts created when setting it up that way and it's very confusing for people when they have more then one email account. (  I deal with a a dozen companies whose users use multiple handsets from which they access  email accounts, most of them have 2 to 3 personal email accounts including Gmail and Hotmail and at least 1 or 2 business accounts through exchange server)

 

This is not the answer to this mess. I wish people would stop posting links to the Google announcements regarding the elimination of Active Sync.. most people have read it and do not need it re posted.

 

You guys can keep posting that link over and over, FACT IS THAT BB Z10 does not do synch properly.. even when connected to exchange server it fails to synch consistently.


Here is the process for syncing your Gmail with IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV:

  1. Open the Z10's account manager.
  2. Tap the "Add Account" icon (always visible at the bottom of the screen).
  3. Enter your email address.
  4. Enter your password.
  5. Select which things you want to sync (email, calendar, and/or contacts).
  6. Let the Z10 sync.

That's it. If you need to add a new account, rinse and repeat. Not exactly messy. Please also note that the Z10 will automatically select the most appropriate syncing protocol depending on what service your are using (e.g., it will automatically setup an Outllook account with EAS, no need to dig into advance setup).

 

Granted, the Z10 does represent the mail, contacts, and calendar portions from one Gmail address as three different accounts, but there is only one setup process. It's not like you are doing 3 times as much work to sync mail, calendar, and contacts from one account. I guess if the 3 icons in your account manager is a deal-breaker, then by all means, do not purchase a Z10. However, I fail to recognize this as a major issue. It has absolutely no impact on day-to-day usage, and, once again, setup is essentially, "Type in email, then type in password."

 

Your argument basically consists of dismissing IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV as a non-solution because it's "messy", and then bashing BlackBerry for EAS problems. If syncing a paid Google Apps account with EAS is a legitimate problem, I would love to see some documented cases of the Z10's inherent inability to handle EAS rather than the the usual anecdotes.

Please use plain text.