Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Google Maps for Z10

There is not yet an official Google Maps program for the Z10.  I did find something interesting. Open the Browser. Go to  maps.google.ca  

When you get to the maps displayed on the screen you should normally get a prompt for options. Use Allow for the access. Then tap the three dot menu {ooo} on the lower right side. Use Save to Home Screen.  A Google Maps icon will be added to the phone's desktop if everything is working okay. It will now run as if it is a web based applet.

It is best to log in to the Google Maps with a Google account. You can get a Google account by joining Gmail, or any of the Google services.

For the GPS option to work in the Google Maps, the Blackberry Maps must be first activated with location allow.

In the Google software menu there is a layers section. You can view traffic, satellite view and other options. Zooming in and out, and finding locations is very easy.  The Google Maps will not talk with the phones speech synthesizer. Maybe it can and I have not figured out how to it. I found it works well and has more options than with the Blackberry maps. This version of Google Maps runs very close to the original one that was for the earlier Blackberry phones.

I did find much improvement with Blackberry maps since the last few updates. I also found the Google Maps have also been updated, and they also corrected a few minor bugs.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Google Maps for Z10

Good find Jerry! Thanks!

As a heads up though, this only works if you have the Desktop Mode turned off for the browser (the default setting). If you have gone into the Browser Developer settings and turned on the Desktop Mode, turn it off, close the browser, and then try again and it should now work.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
spykecichlid
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Globe

I downloaded street viewer from BlackBerry world and it's Google Map :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Great suggestions Jerry. Thanks!
I'm using the side loaded Google maps and I'll try this as well.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I would very curios to know if the side loaded Google maps works better than the one I suggested.  The one I suggested runs as a web based applet. 

I found for the GPS to work in the web applet Google maps, the native Blackberry maps must have its first time load and copyright agreement checked by the user. Once done, you can leave the Blackberry maps closed, and the Google maps will work with the GPS option when you touch on the Find button. I also like the Google maps satellite view option.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

I'm trying the browser app now, did yesterday also, and I can't quite get the hang of how to enable and use the navigation in the browser app. When I enter a destination address, and click to [---->] button to proceed, the written directions are shown, but no "show map" function. I can tap the top icon that takes me to the map with the full mapped route outlined, but still no navigation. On the browser version, I have a link to signin to my google maps account, but no matter how many times I do so, it doesn't take me to my account.

The sideloaded app is pretty cool. Voice turn by turn navigation, animated map view transitions and lots of search options. Still, it's a bit laggy and GPS drops quite often. The show traffic function works well.

Even still, on top of both of these, I am preferring the native BlackBerryMaps for navigation (and that's saying a lot, I am a BIG fan of GoogleMaps, and on my 9850 device I still prefer the Google maps over BlackBerry Maps).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pnarenn
My Device: Z 10
My Carrier: Blackberry

Great ! working ....Thanks....

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I am finding out it is not as good as the full version. The Google maps I found is a web based applet.

Where can I get the instructions about how to sideload the full Andriod version?  I would like to see the difference.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

The magellan compass app in app world is a very in depth nav app, and gives you a choice of map and search providers.

It's a bit complex to learn at first, but it is made well and a very good app. Search, turn by turn, traffic (us and UK only so far), etc. It does everything you want a nav app to do.

I purchased this on my PlayBook and it came up free on the ZED. Nice! :smileyvery-happy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
JSanders

jerryg50 wrote:

I am finding out it is not as good as the full version. The Google maps I found is a web based applet.

Where can I get the instructions about how to sideload the full Andriod version?  I would like to see the difference.

Jerry, here is the best and easiest set of instructions for sideloading the Google Maps android version on the z10.

It's the exact same process I used.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.