Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: AT&T USA

Re: HIGH DATA USAGE ON MY BB Z10

pinkert11 - I signed up for this forum just to reiterate the exact behavior with one of my users' Q10's and AT&T USA.

This user is as bare-bones as one could possibly be - He wouldn't even know how to browse the web on his BlackBerry, let alone download any third party Apps. He's set up with ActiveSync to Exchange - THAT'S IT. He's a very light email user (maybe receives 20-30 messages per day, maybe sends 1-2 from his BlackBerry.) 

His previous data usage on a BlackBerry Bold was ~200MB per month. His new Q10 was eating batteries like crazy - barely making it to the afternoon after a full night charge. All of a sudden I get an alert from AT&T saying he's used 90% of his 2GB data plan... 10 days later, he's gone through ANOTHER 2GB and now, just after 1 month with the Q10 he's at 5GB of usage.

There is literally no way "he" (the user) is actually using this much data. I don't care about all of these "no more BES/BIS compression!" excuses. There is clearly something wrong here. I'm going to head over to an AT&T store and will report back, but I'm going to guess they're going to send me to BlackBerry.

At least we know why his battery life sucks.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Take this for what it's worth. Caveats up front: I haven't checked my data usage as reported by my carrier. I haven't run this to ground yet.

So here is the anecdote :

I was going to bed one night and happened to notice the lights on the modem were going to town. Someone was using wifi. It wasn't me. Wife was already asleep. I don't think it was a neighbor because our network is hidden and protected, and no one else has been given access.

I checked my Z10 that I had placed on the night table and confirmed no apps were open, browser was closed, etc. For giggles I turned the Z10 off. And the data activity showing on the modem came to a dead halt.

I have watched since then and haven't observed the same thing. If it happens when I'm asleep or not paying attention I of course won't know it. And as I say, I haven't looked at data use reported by my carrier.

There may be an explanation, but I have less doubt about the examples others are reporting than I did initially. Now that I'm thinking about it again I'll check my data usage when I get a moment and try a watch it for a few days in a row.
- Ira
New Contributor

Just got back from the AT&T store and we printed out the bill for this particula user and it confirmed our suspicions that something is clearly wrong: He had chunks of 20-30MB of data peppered throughout the bill all month long, and frequently they would come in waves on the hour every hour when the user was clearly asleep (12:17AM, 1:17AM, 2:17AM, 3:19AM, 4:19AM, etc.)

The guy I spoke to was very helpful, initially tried to play it off with the whole, "You're no longer on BES/BIS... you're on LTE now..." but then, when he saw the usage and bill said, "Ah, I had another user with a Z10 who had this exact issue. Call AT&T Tech Support, they'll undo the charges and make a case with BlackBerry."

That's what I'm about to do now, stay tuned...

Highlighted
New Contributor

AT&T Tech Support wasn't interested in delving into the problem and simply asked that I use BlackBerry Link to wipe the device and reload the OS, run with it for a few days and see if the issue returns. If it does, they will warranty this Q10 and send out a new one. Not sure if it was just the tech support rep I got who wasn't in the mood or if they just don't care to spend the time trying to figure out the root of the problem.

On the plus side, the AT&T Customer Service rep (who the tech support person passed me off too) refunded us the overages and said she *had* heard of this particular problem with the BlackBerry Q/Z10's, but had never run across a case of it personally, I was the first refund she had processed. It was pretty much a "no questions asked" once she reviewed the bill and saw the erroneous data flow.

Q10 has been wiped, OS version 10.1.0.2121 (AT&T North America) has been reloaded, ActiveSync profile to Office 365 (Exchange) has been added.

User will have it over the weekend and will report back on Monday and we'll review his data usage during that time.

Contributor
My Device: BBZ10
My Carrier: Bell

So after having my Z10 for some months now and being away from the forums i come back and see there is no solution for high usage just " You dont understand the BB doesnt use compressed data , there is an app doing it Etc."

All it would have took is something in BB phone to show whats on and using data and we all would have been able to get it. No idea why the makers didnt do it. Having it constantly said that the user is the problem and either misunderstood their data plan or the phone has most certainly impacted BB itself. Who do people think have the phone ? We are business owners , laywers , accountants , engineers , young people , military , machinists every job there is. To have Carriers and anyone else imply its self inflicted , well you win we arent smart enough to have a BB so will just get a "dumber " phone.

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: AT&T

I applaud your response. I agree with you totally.
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Re: JSanders

I don't understand how those devices had any data activity if they've been sitting on your desk out of "active duty".
Could you explain?

The units are now in my desk - post the issues obviously they were in the field with Sales Mangers when all of the erounious data was consumed.

They are on the way to the trash bin as well. I have always been a staunch supporter of Blackberry and I have a nice collection of devices in premium condition in a display at home, one Z10 and one Q10 and a Playbook will be added to my display. The others we are tossing as the company is now moving to Galaxy devices. Bell is simply providing trade in credit and they do not want the units back. I think this shows the movement rate and potential resale. I really liked the Z10 and I miss the swiping and some of the features like the little movie maker app and the unified inbox. But the issues just outweighed these. 

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

aiharkness wrote:
Take this for what it's worth. Caveats up front: I haven't checked my data usage as reported by my carrier. I haven't run this to ground yet.

So here is the anecdote :

I was going to bed one night and happened to notice the lights on the modem were going to town. Someone was using wifi. It wasn't me. Wife was already asleep. I don't think it was a neighbor because our network is hidden and protected, and no one else has been given access.

I checked my Z10 that I had placed on the night table and confirmed no apps were open, browser was closed, etc. For giggles I turned the Z10 off. And the data activity showing on the modem came to a dead halt.

I have watched since then and haven't observed the same thing. If it happens when I'm asleep or not paying attention I of course won't know it. And as I say, I haven't looked at data use reported by my carrier.

There may be an explanation, but I have less doubt about the examples others are reporting than I did initially. Now that I'm thinking about it again I'll check my data usage when I get a moment and try a watch it for a few days in a row.

Well I looked at my data usage over the past few months.  It's not really any different on a monthly basis than what I was using on previous BlackBerrys.   I scanned a little to look at late night and early morning time periods and I didn't see any huge data spikes when I wouldn't have been using the Z10.

So, I don't know what I was seeing that night as I described above.   My data use appears normal.

- Ira
New Contributor

Update and Closing (our issue resolved):

tldr: wiped Q10 then reinstalled OS (BB10), recreated ActiveSync profile on Q10 and working fine now after OS reinstall.

After doing a full wipe and reinstall of the OS (not just resetting the device, mind you, actually reinstalling the BB 10 OS) and recreating the users' ActiveSync profile, he is reporting that all is well again on his Q10.

We confirmed that his data usage is now in the 20-50MB daily range since last Friday, not the 20-30MB *per hour* that it was doing previously.

Also, not coincidentally, his battery usage has returned to normal with a solid day+ of life, not the 10-12 hours 100% to 0% like it was getting with the data "leak" issue. Still no idea what was in those data packets and it will forever remain a mystery.
My Device: curve 9360
My Carrier: 3

Hi, the problem in my case is the use internationally.   I travel internationally every month, and rely on the BB as my lifeline for emails, texts and phone, (not always convenient to get a wifi connection).  I have been with the BB (various versions) for >8 years.  I tried the nextgen phone and the data charges increased 10 fold over what I previously had with the Blackberry Bold.  I have reverted to a new BB curve 9360 (O/S7), where I seem to only receive email "changes" and these changes are compressed.  To giv you a guide on financial impacts, the data charges in a week of US travel (I am UK based) amount to <$5.  With the nxtgen phone, the costs over one week approached $80.  I swear by BB as a tool for business, but have concerns with the nextgen suitability.  Help me out, as I want to stay with BB