Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HIGH DATA USAGE ON MY BB Z10

"nxtgen" phone? Please explain?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

lesliemcneill wrote:

I swear by BB as a tool for business, but have concerns with the nextgen suitability.  Help me out, as I want to stay with BB

hello,

in the past, BlackBerry focused on data volume, because data volume was very expensive. To do so, in the BIS technology, they included two key features:

• for the web
    • each page is first downloaded on BlackBerry servers, then degraded to match the screen of the Blackberry phone, then sent to your phone
  • for emails
    • each email is first partially downloaded :
      • headers to/from/subject/date
      • the first 2000 characters of the body
      • attachment file names
      • HTML emails are degraded the same way as web pages
    • the rest (the entire body + the attachment files + the pictures in the body) can be downloaded manually

Those two features (degrading the email experience + degrading the browsing experience) were seen by many BlackBerry users, as well as non-BlackBerry users, are huge drawbacks: BlackBerry phones were qualified inferior to the other brands, and lagging behind.

The only advantage was to have lower data volumes.

Then when BlackBerry10 was discussed internally at RIM, they decided to deliver an un-compromised email & web experience, which means no more explicit degradation. The advantage is clear (reduce the gap with the other brands), and the drawback is that the data volume went from "ultra-low" to "about the same as Android, iOS and Windows Phone".

The consequence for you is that with your current data plan, an increase of the cost.

I really am convinced BlackBerry is not going to lower the mail&web experience for costs sake (even through an option the user could choose on the device).

If you wish to continue with the nextgen phones (either Android, iOS or BlackBerry10), I suggest you either choose a better data plan (for example in Europe in a few months, international roaming will be the same price as domestic mobile internet + 0.01EUR) or choose a better carrier that offers better international plans.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
vineetsh08
My Device: Z30, Z10, Q10

This may be a valid argument to explain why data consumption has increased when moving from, say, BB OS 7 to BB10.

However, your assesment that the BB10 data consumption is now on par with, say, Android, is not correct for many users.

I ran a test case by using both a Nexus 5 and Z30 for 2 months. I had the same number of email accounts set up on both the devices.

For a 30 day cycle, the Nexus 5 consumed about 700-750 MB of data. The Z30 consumbed 2 GB!

Something is clearly amiss here!

Contributor
alleg
My Device: Blackberry Z10

[ Edited ]

Android phones often use google dns and cache when downloading/sync emails and websites.
Blackberry does not. It delivers everything exactly the same way as your PC does. And android phones often sends you pictures in lower quality. Check that. only when you download file, you download full resolution. Device is displaying altered/cached version of it.

BIS/BES was great when BB had a 320x240 px - non-touch screen. It was really a great expirience, but also a HUGE drawback, when for example you werent able to get emails larger than 8MB even for a text preview. If i sent you an "huge" email (8,01 MB) that contains a lot of text and lets say 1 PDF, you didnt get mail, but only an error message "Message size exceeds 8MB". It often drives me crazy.

Now, i have 3 email accounts synced. 2 domain emails for work, and one personal gmail account. Also have Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Foursquare. Got 2GB plan, and monthly i use (various) from 700MB to 1.3 GB of data AND it also INCLUDES all the web search i have to do. I'm not using YOUTUBE and other streaming services tho (streaming services were not included in BIS-A and BIS-B as far as i remember too, so it doesnt matter in fact)

When i had BIS, i used around 70-100MB? but it was free (included in BIS price) anyway. But still.

Now you got a 1280px touch screen java and flash enabled phone. Deal with it, get your data plan straight, and turn off your BIS payment, becouse BB10 is not a BIS system anymore.

New Contributor
Simson
My Device: blackberry Z10

no its not comaprable to other brands . I am coming from iPhone , but this is nothing i experienced with iPhone. my datat usage on iPhone was manageable , and i could restrict some apps from using data. 

Contributor
sheldonlaz
My Device: Z10

I had reported this issue about a year and a half ago. Bout the high data consumption on the BlackBerry 10 devices. I believe it has a lot to do from moving away from the BIS plan, the compression etc. Having said that, they still is something strange here, when devices that offer similar email n other features (Google now & play services) consume less, there could be something that can be done to offer the blackberry user the same. I am not really complaining here, just that it would be nice to save a few bucks on the data packages. :smileyhappy:
Posting from my Z10
New Contributor
Simson
My Device: blackberry Z10

Guys you should try disabling sending diagnostic data... it helped me
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Agreed on disabling diagnostic data.
Settings > Security > Diagnostic Data = Off

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code