Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK
Accepted Solution

How Can I Avoid The Mysterious "Local Contacts"

Sometimes, people on my networks such as Facebook and Twitter start contacting me and we share contact details.

Instinctively, I open 'Contacts' and edit their details expecting the contact to appear on my Google Apps account. Instead, BB10 creates a linked "Local Contact" which doesn't get synced at all.

Anyone know if there is a way to prevent the Local Contact being created? I want my updated contacts synced straight back rather than then having to dig out the contacts and start mucking about with them on BB10.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How Can I Avoid The Mysterious "Local Contacts"

Have you tried going into your contacts, swipe down to get settings and turn off Facebook & twitter,

IMG_00000017.png

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118

Not really sure how you think that turning off Facebook and Twitter will help me...

Especially as I've just said that I use this as the starting point.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't have google cloud contacts, but I would think that you can break the link (which is possible) beween the local contact and the Facebook and/or Twitter account and re-link the FB/Twitter accounts to the Google contact that you create. Then simply delete the local contact.

In theory that should work.

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118

Yeah, that's what I've done. 

Seeing as there is no option to set a calendar account as default, it seems like it is anybody's guess where the contact might end up.

For now I'll just have to make sure that I check the local contacts once in a while to fix it.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

drewread wrote:

I don't have google cloud contacts, but I would think that you can break the link (which is possible) beween the local contact and the Facebook and/or Twitter account and re-link the FB/Twitter accounts to the Google contact that you create. Then simply delete the local contact.

In theory that should work.

Let say that I want to add a new contact that is not link to Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, but I want this contact to sync with my hotmail account, how would I do it

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

Add a contact to your Hotmail contacts.. :smileywink:
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118

The point is, Martin that you need to create a new contact and manually copy the details from the local contact.

It is tedious and unnecessary but that's how it behaves right now.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

cas118 wrote:
The point is, Martin that you need to create a new contact and manually copy the details from the local contact.

It is tedious and unnecessary but that's how it behaves right now.

John, if I understand what you are saying, is that I must first use a computer to login to the hotmail, then add the contact and after that it will be on the phone linked to the hotmail

So if I am not at home, I can not add a contact and have it upload to hotmail

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118

No. If you create a new contact on BlackBerry 10, it will connect to your sync account (Hotmail for you)

If you edit a contact such as Twitter by adding a phone number it will create a local contact. You then have to create another new contact on your Z10, copy the info and delete the newly created local account. 

Please use plain text.