Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

How do I set up email now BIS is dead?

How exactly do I set up email when my email server refuses to talk to anything other than BIS?

Did anyone think about this kind of issue when you decided to discard the primary reason I use a BlackBerry smartphone - for the email?

And is there anyway of logging POP and SMTP requests on the phone so I can work out why the connection requests are being rejected?

Right now my Z10 is only useful as an ornament. I'm going to have to get my 9900 resurrected.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: How do I set up email now BIS is dead?

what email service?

gmail and my work Exchange 2003 are working well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

My gmail is working fine too.

But it seems if I want my other email accounts to work, I'll have to add MX records to forward to Google so they can examine my email for personal data to sell to advertisers.

I hate Google.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

br14 wrote:

But it seems if I want my other email accounts to work, I'll have to (...)

do you want help or did you get to that conclusion and are just stating it?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Abdalla
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Is BIS necessary for Email

Hi

I have been hearing on different forums that BIS is not necessary for POP email accounts to function properly. My z10 has a BIS accont and I setup my POP company account and it worked well at the beginning and then all of a sudden becasme disconnected.

I rested my BB10 and reinstalled my POP email, but against it disconncted. Now, I am in between cancelling or not canceling my BIS

Would appreciat eyour opinion with thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rohitkohli1978
My Device: z10
My Carrier: zain

I've got the same problem.. my corporate IT team tell me that this new upgrade on z10 is not supported by our existing servers... not sure what BIS or the rest means but at the moment I cannot use my z10 for receiving emails via company account server!!! Trash time I think!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Is BIS necessary for Email

Abdalla wrote:

Hi

I have been hearing on different forums that BIS is not necessary for POP email accounts to function properly. My z10 has a BIS accont and I setup my POP company account and it worked well at the beginning and then all of a sudden becasme disconnected.

I rested my BB10 and reinstalled my POP email, but against it disconncted. Now, I am in between cancelling or not canceling my BIS

Would appreciat eyour opinion with thanks

Hello,

Many reports exist...and only the carrier can answer for sure. I suspect that, due to the very different methods for BB10, the carriers are having to reconfigure their networks to enable proper functionality of both BB10 and legacy BBs.

BB10 indeed does not require BIS while legacy still does. In some cases, we've heard that having BIS on a BB10 device account actually impedes functions. In other cases we've heard that the carrier required retention of the BIS account on the BB10 device until they completed their network reconfigurations. In still other cases, we've heard reports exactly like yours (services starting, stopping, starting again, stopping again) for both BB10 as well as legacy devices -- my suspicion is that the carriers are reconfiguring their networks to support both BB10 and legacy BBs, and perhaps are causing unintended consequences for their users.

But, in any event, it is your carrier to whom you must speak to find out the exact specifics for your situation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

rohitkohli1978 wrote:

I've got the same problem.. my corporate IT team tell me that this new upgrade on z10 is not supported by our existing servers... not sure what BIS or the rest means but at the moment I cannot use my z10 for receiving emails via company account server!!! Trash time I think!!!

Hello,

It is difficult to accept that your corporate email system simply cannot accept a BB10 device. It is possible, but I'd think it a bit rare. BB10 devices can work with legacy BES as well as BES-10 (though not all services will be available with legacy BES). BB10 devices can work with most POP, IMAP, and EAS internet-facing email services. BB10 devices cannot work with OWA...that is correct...but most OWA environments can be easily activated for EAS, which would allow a BB10 device to work with it.

So, knowing nothing more than what your post contains, if your IT folks truly know what they are talking about, then they have implemented an incompatible environment...and only by changing the environment to something compatible can the BB10 device function.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GranReviewsmo
My Device: Z10 STL-100
My Carrier: Glo Mobile

Rohitkohli is right actually, my company uses Lotus Notes and my Z10 doesn't work with Lotus Notes Domino and BES which my 9900 worked with smoothly. Apparently we have to wait for Lotus Notes Traveller 9 for it to be supported. If you have any contrary information it would be extremely helpful.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Abdalla
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Orange

Hello

Yesterday my provider, Orange, stepped in and solved my issue of BIS network on Z10. As of last night, my email account is working as should be with similar envoinrment as previusly I had with 9900. The difference was that I had to configure my POP email account through BB/orange web site.

As per their response, they needed to adjust their network to comply with Z10 parameters. Lets. hope the situation is solved....permanently.

Thanks folks for sharing valuable experiences...it really matters a lot.

Good luck

Please use plain text.