Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 Playbook Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

How do we fix yahoo email?

Yahoo email on my Z10 from what I read is only going to update every 15 mins from what I read but I've had people tell me to read the forums there is a fix out there. Now I've done allot of reading but maybe I'm just missing it. Is there truly a way to get emails to work like they did on the older BB's? I set the account up through the phone so if there is a fix I would say it is doing something manual in the set up. Now when they have said read the forum they didn't say it was in this forum so maybe I'm just not looking to the right forum for this help. My only fix is I use my 9900 on wifi when I can and still get it instantly as it as always worked. If I'm away from wifi I keep the yahoo account logged into in the web browser and just keep checking it when I can. If this is the only way I'm thinking of trying something other then a BB. Been with blackberry for 9 years and love them. The reason I say is the email, I don't need a phone I can link to all those things out there like facebook, linkin and the other **bleep**. I want my email service back like it once was. Is that gone forever once the older blackberries are gone?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How do we fix yahoo email?

Hello,

BB10 is totally different from before. Before, BIS handled the interface between your BB and your email service. With BB10, it is 100% an on-device client, with the functions and settings it has available.

For Yahoo, can we assume you already have the "Use PUSH if supported" set to "Yes"? And that is configured for IMAP automatically? If so, that's the best you can do as far as I am aware. If Yahoo doesn't support PUSH, then that setting is of course ignored in favor of the sync interval, which can be set to no shorter than 15 minutes.

It is possible that the available settings may change in the future...but no one who truly knows the answer to that question is allowed to answer it (public company, "forward looking statements", "proprietary information", and all of that).

We are all hopeful for improvements as this revolutionary change continues.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Double checked just to make sure and yes the use push f supported is on and yes I let the devise setup the email account..
The person that told me there is a fix out there will say nothing other then it's in the forums but still doesn't say which one. Maybe they just want use to dump our BB's.
I also read where others say it works just fine and it makes me wonder if they came over from other phones that the 15 min interval is normal. I can understand that BB changed the way this works and I'm not sure if they can fix it without going back to a BIS setup. One thing is for sure is how the email worked was one of the things that kept the following for BB when they didn't come out with all the bells and whistles like the other phones and to me it is going to be a bad thing for BB if they give it up. And like you said even BB is not talking about this to even know if they will fix it. Come on BB lets us know before you lose us. I can't return the Z for my money back but for another month I can swap it for a different phone. Played with iphones and don't like them. Even my son who has had iphones for years now just got a new iphone 5 and he is not impressed. My one swap I want to make a good choice so it maybe the new Galaxy 4 or a windows phone. Not sure which I might like but I don't see email working any worse then the Z10
Hall of Famer II

bmanley wrote:
Double checked just to make sure and yes the use push f supported is on and yes I let the devise setup the email account..

OK...then as far as I can tell, you've done all that you can.

bmanley wrote:

The person that told me there is a fix out there will say nothing other then it's in the forums but still doesn't say which one. Maybe they just want use to dump our BB's.

Possibly...knowing nothing more than you've reported, I have no idea what that other person is talking about.

bmanley wrote:

I also read where others say it works just fine and it makes me wonder if they came over from other phones that the 15 min interval is normal.

I don't understand...if you mean, if folks came to the Z10 from a non-BB platform, then they might consider the 15 minute interval to be normal, then yes that's possible.

Do also be aware that BIS was only fully PUSH (from server to BB) if the email service provided for that. If the email service did not provide for it, then BIS was also on a 15 minute polling interval -- though it had "intelligence" in that, whenever it found something on the server, it would shorten the interval to almost zero, and gradually again increase the interval back out to 15 minutes for as long as it did not find anything further on the server.

bmanley wrote:
I can understand that BB changed the way this works and I'm not sure if they can fix it without going back to a BIS setup.

I doubt that...there is no logical reason why an on-device client cannot handle the same PUSH-based email services that BIS could. Nor is there any reason to believe that the cannot change the 15 minute interval setting -- after all, the user can change it now on the Z10, it's just that there's nothing shorter than 15 minutes available. From that, I'd deduce that there's nothing stopping BlackBerry from allowing the user to select pretty much any interval that they'd want to provide for, including as short as 1 minute. No, I don't think BIS will be necessary to "fix" these issues in BB10. I just think that the current implementation of the on-device email client is flawed, but can be repaired. 

I actually don't want BIS to return...the cost factor, in my region of the world, was such that BB with BIS was not an affordable solution for my situation. The lowest cost plan I could find for a BB was US$50/month, and that had very restrictive limits on everything (including BIS data, which in other parts of the world is unlimited). With the Z10, I can run on a pre-paid US$30/month plan with 100m talk, unlimited SMS, and unlimited data (5GB at 4G, throttled thereafter). So, for me, BB10 has actually allowed me to "return to the BB fold" where I had been gone for almost 2 years due to the month-to-month financial considerations.

bmanley wrote:
One thing is for sure is how the email worked was one of the things that kept the following for BB when they didn't come out with all the bells and whistles like the other phones and to me it is going to be a bad thing for BB if they give it up.

I don't think they have given up on this...I rather think they are listening and planning future releases that will greatly improve things. One must think of BB10 as a very first release, not as an evolution from prior BB methods. And first releases are always full of issues and such.

bmanley wrote:
And like you said even BB is not talking about this to even know if they will fix it. Come on BB lets us know before you lose us.

Please understand that it is quite rare for ANY public company to release such forward looking information. They must be very careful, lest they invite the wrath of the SEC. The formal announcements that they have made are, IMHO, much greater than their competitors would ever step up to the plate to do. Consider...when the iPhone first came out, how long did it take Apple to admit to the huge flaws it had (e.g., no "cut and paste"). BlackBerry has officially admitted to some flaws and committed to making changes to correct them...beyond that (e.g., answering firmly "why" or "when") would be even more extraordinary, and I for one do not expect anything more than they have already officially stated.

bmanley wrote:
I can't return the Z for my money back but for another month I can swap it for a different phone. Played with iphones and don't like them. Even my son who has had iphones for years now just got a new iphone 5 and he is not impressed. My one swap I want to make a good choice so it maybe the new Galaxy 4 or a windows phone. Not sure which I might like but I don't see email working any worse then the Z10

I can tell you that, for almost 2 months, I had a Z10 and a Droid running in parallel. In that time, I came to really hate the Droid. The Z10 is that good IMHO. Not perfect by any means, but really quite good...and I trust that BlackBerry is listening and working on improvements as we all continue this journey together. No, it's not a journey for the "faint of heart"...for any new platform will always go through many pains...eventually, our patience will be worth it, I trust. But, each person must judge their own tolerance levels and decide accordingly.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I really want to stay with BB and the Z10 is a very nice devise. Understand that the first versions of about anything will have their problems its just email is something I wish they would have worked harder on before release. They got us all worked up wanting a new phone and I think that makes things like the email problem a bigger let down. If I would have understood the limits on the way email was going to work I might have waited to swap or just took it back before the 15 days. I'm also havong troubles with my case. I picked up an otterbox for 2 reasons. One is I've used them for years now and love the protection they provide for my phones and second it was about the only choice if I didn't want to order a case and have a bare phone until it came in. Typing sucks in the otterbox because it way too hard to hit the keys on the side edges. There is one other thing about them and that is the belt clip just sucks. Too easy to knock the phone out of the case and the magnet doesn't work. Otterbox as I understand is working on a fix for some or all of the problems so we will see.

I've tried iphones and they are okay but not something I want to live with. Never had an andriod phone but did have a tablet and just never could understand how to make it work like I wanted. So with that I was thinking windows 8 phones.

Data is not problem with me I have an unlimited data plan and I get a discount on it so even if they thing having a one minute setting on the email would use too much data it wouldn't be a problem for me. Haviing the chance to set the phone down to one minute would be allot better then the 15 mins we get now. Wonder if somebody knew how to hack phones if they could make it do that?

Want to thank you for the replies it has helped me ti understand a little better. I have loved my BB and really want too stay, I just hope in a short amount of time they can fix some of these problems. My son almost switched back to BB from iphone but the problems I've seen and told him about made get the iphone 5. And like I said before he is not impressed by it. If BB could have luanch this new phone without some of the bugs in things I don't think they should have had like email he would have returned to the platform

Hall of Famer II

bmanley wrote:

I really want to stay with BB and the Z10 is a very nice devise. Understand that the first versions of about anything will have their problems its just email is something I wish they would have worked harder on before release. They got us all worked up wanting a new phone and I think that makes things like the email problem a bigger let down.

You are not alone in those sentiments. Of course, if we could change the past...

bmanley wrote:

I'm also havong troubles with my case. I picked up an otterbox for 2 reasons. One is I've used them for years now and love the protection they provide for my phones and second it was about the only choice if I didn't want to order a case and have a bare phone until it came in. Typing sucks in the otterbox because it way too hard to hit the keys on the side edges. There is one other thing about them and that is the belt clip just sucks. Too easy to knock the phone out of the case and the magnet doesn't work. Otterbox as I understand is working on a fix for some or all of the problems so we will see.

Sound like an Otterbox problem...not a BB problem. I picked up the OEM belt-clip leather case, and it works quite well. I've never liked the full-device "permanent" cases (like Otterbox). But, to each his own.

bmanley wrote:

Want to thank you for the replies it has helped me ti understand a little better.

You are welcome.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Contributor

Each person does like a different case. For me I can take my 2 year old 9900 out of the case and if I pulled the screen protector off it you would think it was a new phone. Seidio cases are nice without some of the bulk but the belt clips break on them way too easy and not that they will not replace them it's just a pain. You have to email them, then send a picture of the broken item. Then pay for return shipping of the broken case and wait for a replacement. With otterboxx you can have it replaced in a few days and they don't make you spend your money to ship a broken item to them.
Without a good case I just worry too much about dropping and breaking my phone