Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
chuugokujin
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

How to use Z10 as Wifi USB Adapter (NOT internet tethering)

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to use my Z10 as a USB dongle to receive wifi signal from my router.

I tried to disable the Data Service first and hoping it will let me choose my home wifi, but it did not work. It always asks to turn on the Data Service then to do a normal Internet Tethering (through my 4G).

I know some Android phones can do this, but I couldn't find an app or how to do this on my Z10 yet.

Could anyone advise?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How to use Z10 as Wifi USB Adapter (NOT internet tethering)

Are you trying to connect the Z10 to your BB Playbook?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chuugokujin

No, I am trying to use my Z10 as a wifi adapter for my desktop PC, through USB cable.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10

chuugokujin wrote:

No, I am trying to use my Z10 as a wifi adapter for my desktop PC, through USB cable.

You can do that if you go to Settings > Network and Connections > Internet tethering. You have a choice to select connection to your laptop via USB or Bluetooth. I used it to connect with USB and it worked fine. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chuugokujin

No...as my title indicated it's not internet tethering through the mobile network (4G) but receiving signals from home router wifi. Think it as a wireless USB dongle/adapter...

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120

chuugokujin wrote:

No...as my title indicated it's not internet tethering through the mobile network (4G) but receiving signals from home router wifi. Think it as a wireless USB dongle/adapter...

If you have the WiFi turned ON on your Z10 and the z10 is connected to your laptop, then the laptop will have access to the internet via Z10 WiFi connection. Yes, the laptop will receive the signals from your WiFi router thru your Z10. 

If you turn OFF WiFi on your Z10, then your laptop will have access to the internet via your data connection provided by your network.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chuugokujin

I have wifi connected on my Z10, but when I turned on my internet tethering it forced me to turn on Data Service, then the tethering started to work. The problem is, this is the tethering from the mobile network (4G), not from my home router. I can verify that by my IP address and network speed being totally different.

I hope this is not your case otherwise you were actually using your mobile network, not home wifi.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120

You have to have the Data service on regardless of what you are using. The WiFi will override your mobile network connection as soon as your phone detects it and connects to it. Trust me, you will not have any data charges on your monthly bill IF you are using the WiFi connection
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chuugokujin

When I was forced to turn on the Data Service there was no option to select Wifi but all mobile network, from 2G to 4G.

I can tell my IP address was assigned by my mobile carrier, and I just confirmed with my phone provider I used the data flow from the mobile network, not home Wifi.

I am not sure why this happens to me, but it's OK I was purely curious if Z10 can do this.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120

Well...that's strange... did u try to turn off you mobile network?
Please use plain text.