Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
yyfp
My Device: 9800Torch and Z10

Huge problems in SWICHING from 9800 to Z10

[ Edited ]

Dear Blackberry,

I’m a Chinese customer. In the past 8 years, Blackberry smartphones have been one essential part of my life. 7290, 8700, 8800, 8520, 8900, 9800, all of them have been with me for long. I’ve been using 9800 for the last two and half years and now I’m switching to your latest Z10.

I have to say, Z10 is a masterpiece and I do hope it could save Blackberry. BUT, I also met several problems when I’m switching:

ONE:

Blackberry Link could NOT transfer my contacts and SMSs in Chinese from my 9800 to Z10 correctly. All Chinese contacts are displayed in wrong code that I don’t think anyone on the earth could read it. I have nearly 2000 contacts and 1800 of them are in Chinese. HOW COULD I DEAL WITH THEM? I DON’T WANT TO INPUT THEM ONE BY ONE WITH MY FINGERS! Also, all SMSs are empty, with a wrong code title. DO YOU MEAN I'll LOST THEM ALL? 

TWO:

WHERE IS THE GREAT PASSWORDS KEEPER? I stored all my passwords, more than 200, into the passwords keeper of 9800. When I got my new Z10, I found there was no passwords keeper anymore. SO I DOWNLOADED IT FROM BLACKBERRY WORLD. Problem occurs when I restore the old data into the new Z10. LINK TELLS ME THAT THE RESTORE WAS SUCCESSFUL, BUT THE PASSWORDS KEEPER IS STILL EMPTY! WHAT COULD I DO? 

THREE:

WHERE ARE MY FAVORITE ARROWS SHOWING NETWORK ACTIVITIES? I always think the two lovely arrows which show and disappear according to the current network activity are a UNIQUE sign of BLACKBERRY, and the sign shows A BLACKBERRY IS A BLACKBERRY. WHERE ARE THEY? I know I might be a little bit crazy here. But as I’m supporting my beloved Blackberry for years, I do hope that I could continue my support in the future. So, please help me and tell me what to do.

Many many thanks!

Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-
My Device: Z10

Re: Huge problems in SWICHING from 9800 to Z10

I believe you need to do a device switch in BlackBerry Link to transfer the password keeper values over.  I remember trying myself to restore a backup I took on BBOS and having an empty list. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yyfp

Thanks! 

Do you mean that I need first swipe my blackberry, finish the starting setups, download password keepers and then use the link to switch?

I guess in this way, I'll have a Z10, with a lot of contacts in wrong code, a lot of SMS with wrong code title s and empty contents, and possibly a password keeper with a list of all wrong codes.

This will not solve my key problems!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yyfp

I tried to only recover the BBB file of my passwords to a security-swiped Z10 and the password keeper is still empty.

I don't know what will happen to the password keeper if I use the switch function. Only thing I know is that all contacts and SMSs are wrong when switch.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yyfp

I found a way to solve the contact issue:

1. Use desktop software to transfer all contacts in the old blackberry to Windows Contacts.

2. Use Windows Live Mail to output all Windows Contacts to individual .vcf files.

3. Use the following command in CMD.exe to make all .vcf into one file. 

copy /b *.vcf all.vcf 

4. Use a gmail to import the .vcf into its contacts.

5. Setup that gmail account as your Z10 mail account and synchronization contacts.

BUT I COULD STILL NOT SOLVE THE PASSWORD KEEPR PROBLEM.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yyfp

ALL problems solved!

I used the ealier mentioned method solved the Contact issue and then use BB Link to restored my earlier 9800 SMSs and Password keeper contents all correct!

By the way, encourage everyone to backup your old BB into several individual BBB files, eg. one only contains contacts, one only contains password keeper, one only contains SMSs.. and then try the recovery to your new BB.

Please use plain text.