Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Miccara
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I see the end for BB

I cannot remember the last time I have been so thoroughly disappointed with an aspect of a product, as I am with the software provided to manage and backup my new Z10.

I was a long time BB user. I switched over to iPhone last year so the developers in my company would have an iphone to experiment with, and so that I could experience the iPhone itself. From a "business" point of view iPhone was terrible. Managing my contacts and emails was difficult in my opinion and this is an opinion I shared with all who listened. I toted the glory, simplicity and total satisfaction I had with my BB software, and that I was going to return to BB as soon as I possibly can. When Z10 came, I made the switch. Nice phone, nice features, and a complete friggin’ disaster for managing contacts and email.

I am the president of a Canadian company that most people would know about. I can tell you this; I will no longer encourage the use BB in my company. To me, all the advantage of using BB over the iPhone has been washed away. I will be returning to iPhone next time around unless something significant changes with the BB PC software.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: I see the end for BB

can your elaborate on your issue please?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Miccara
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

First let me say that if I have missed something or failed to notice available software or features of BB, then I apologize for that. Frustration is the source of my comments but others share my view so if I’m missing something, so are many.

My issue is that BB Link is, to me, an un-intuitive application. Add in the fact it seems to have created some “freezing my PC “issues while upgrading as well as continuously asks me to upgrade even after doing so, my exasperation with it continues to grow. As far as managing my business needs, the old BB software did that fairly well - even if not perfect.

I find there should be some clear, intuitive and simple functions for the business side at least. Give me some quick selections that clearly and simply handle the day-to-issues business is concerned about.
“Back up my phone” – “Manage Contacts” – “Sync Email” – “Sync Calendar”. Add back in the “How to manage duplicates” feature.

Photos, music, Facebook, Twitter – all important to the success of BB and attracting new and social media savvy youth, yes. But recognize these are not necessarily the prime concerns for your traditional users. They are important and I do, and will use these features but you have to simplify and give me more control over the main items I pointed out at the beginning – backup, contacts, email, calendar.

Up to this point I considered myself reasonably tech savvy, but admittedly by no means am I cutting edge. I just really struggle with the use of BB Link.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
roo_ster
My Device: Zed 10 STL100-3 10.1.0.273
My Carrier: SaskTel

The constantly wanting to upgrade issues comes about if you delete applications that are native to the bb (ie facebook, twitter). I moved those to a folder, put the folder on the last page, and no longer get the update required message.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
phughes
My Device: Not Specified

I will say I too am disappointed in the Link software. I do see the importance in making media syncing the priority over the need to sync calendars or contacts. There currently is no way to sync iCal without using a cloud service. To me that is ridiculous. If I have two devices in the same room, there should be no need to use the internet to sync the two devices. I am often in places with no service, on ships, and when I do have service, the service is slow. I would much rather sync from device to device, as in the past.

My current workaround is to export my calendar using PIM Backup. I then have to import to a new calendar, then delete the old one. It works, but it is a one way sync.

For a company that has always been business oriented, it is a bit odd to emphasize media syncing over business usage. For media I have always found it much easier to simply drag and drop the files I want. If there are only a few at a time, I transfer them via bluetooth.

Had I not found PIM Backup, I would probably return the phone. That would be a shame though since it is a very nice phone.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
chipstr1
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

I read your post with interest.  Like you, I find the lack of "intuitness" in the Blackberry Link prgram to be disappointing.  I work for one of the world's largest IT / Telcom company and am exposed to all sorts of technical requirements daily, yet I look at the Blackberry Link program feeling like an **bleep**.  You nailed it on the head what is wrong with this desktop tool.  good job!

Please use plain text.