Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
GMCacadia2009
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Installed recent update for BlackBerry Z10 - erased all contacts and text messages

Monday night received a notification to update Blackberry Z10.  Tuesday night when at home installed the update and after completion, blackberry z10 asked for a re-boot and finally when all was done, I noticed that all contacts and text meesages were erased.  How do I get back the text meesages without having to reinstall an previous backup and then I am at Square 1 again.  Any suggestions? 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Installed recent update for BlackBerry Z10 - erased all contacts and text messages

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Ouch...that sounds unusual. There is no way to go back in time, so the only solution I can think of is restoration from a prior backup. This just proves the old saying -- there are two kinds of computing device users: those who have lost data, and those who will. Backups, especially before any update activity, are simply not a reactive nor an optional activity.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
GMCacadia2009
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Installed recent update for BlackBerry Z10 - erased all contacts and text messages

Thank you sdgardne and I appreciate your advice.  I did do a prior backup before installing the update but for some reason the restore to original still did not bring back the contacts and text meesages lost.  My calendar and contacts, I'm not worried since calendar and contact syncwith my MS OUTLOOK worked well.  Thank heaven the BBZ10 is functioning properly and I am up to date with that, but my text meesages are still all lost. I guess it is no biggy but some information ie file attachments and contact numbers were lost with the text messages, so I was wondering for the future.  Is there any way on the Z10 one can save (not inidividually) text discussions, similar to the MSN message history option?  I know BBM has this feature but not everyone has BBM.  Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Individual SMS messages can be forwarded via multiple channels...including emailing to yourself from the device if that would help.

Under the most current BBM, there actually is no more local conversation storage, so that can't actually be retrieved anymore.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code