Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
Copes
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Is Battery Power Garbage or do I have another issue?

Hi all,

Picked up a Z10 on Wednesday.

I love the OS. I've been supporting Blackberry for years. I really want to love this phone.

The battery life is a serious issue for me, and I want to know if something is wrong with my phone, or if this is the issue everyone is having. Should I return my phone to Telus? Are there settings I can change?

I charged overnight last night. I was at 100% when I unplugged at 7:40 or so. I hopped in my car at 8:00, and due to the questionable battery on Thursday (first full day) I plugged it in right away. Seemed like it was already dropping in those 20 minutes. I was in my car until about 9:00, with the phone plugged in. It is now 1:30, and my phone is at 25%. 75% gone in less than 4 hours. I can't make it through a work day. I can't make it through 3/4 of a work day, let alone making it through the amount of time I am awake.

My Bluetooth, WiFi and NFC were turned off about halfway through when I saw the battery plummeting. While depletion has slowed down, I still observed a 5% drop in about 20 minutes with NO USAGE. Throughout the 4 hours at work I have done nothing but text and BBM (I do a fair amount of BBMing, probably 40 messages sent / recieved). I have recieved a few emails. I have made about 5 phonecalls. The drain still seems ridiculous.

I checked Twitter twice. I recieved the odd Facebook notification. I close apps after I use them, and have yet to have one opened and used for more than 5 minutes.

Is my phone defective, or is the battery this poor? I am seeing people claiming they are making it 20+ hours. How? Are they letting the phone sit there idle? Am I doing something wrong? When not using the phone I press the top button, which I believe locks the phone. Should I not being doing this?

Help please. :smileysad: 

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Is Battery Power Garbage or do I have another issue?

Most have said to give the device 10-12 days to get the battery settled.

The first several days the device is doing many things in the background you don't see, linking contacts with social media apps and other profiles etc.

Bottom line, you really can't judge the battery in the first week.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
Copes

[ Edited ]

Hey JSanders, thank you for the response. Appreciate that, and happy to hear. As I said, I am loving the phone with the lone exception of the Battery. If it is a known issue, and it is consistently being resolved by waiting, then I am fine.

Do you have any tips regarding how I can conserve Battery life as the phone goes through this initial settling period? Anything I may have missed?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Would love to hear multiple opinions as well, thanks for anyone who helps, I really appreciate it. 

New Contributor
GoWithGreen

I upgrade the Blackberry World app yesterday and am finding the battery to be working really well.  In the upgrade in mentioned that there were small fixes and enhancement to the battery life.  I would try that and give it a couple of days and see if it helps.  

Contributor
jagibson
My Device: Z10

Heavy user here, lots of social media apps, surfing, calls etc... and I get 16-18 hours out of a charge. I've had mmy Z10 for just over 2 weeks now.

Regular Contributor
Copes

Jag: Did your berry work like that since Day 1? Did you notice its optimization increasing over time?

Contributor
jagibson

I got decent battery life the firt few charges but it has increased over time. Having come from using Crapple products and also having a BB 9800 and 9810 for a couple years I know to turn down my screen backlighting, my screen time outs are set to 30 seconds or less, I keep wifi and bluetooth off unlesss actully using them but I am runing the phone in LTE mode, have network and data on at all times and I've had no problems at all.

Regular Contributor
Copes

Yeah, I have Bluetooth, WiFi and NCF turned off, Backlight almost turned completely off, timeouts are at 10seconds. I am also running in LTE mode (which I know can be a bit of a drainer). 

I'm optimistic that I'm consistantly hearing that people's battery life improved. Would you be able to give me an idea of what your battery life was like during those first few charges you mention? If I can get a battery life similar to your own I'll be thrilled, but again, I want to make sure my battery is comparable to others and not faulty. :smileyfrustrated:

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jagibson, your experience is similar to mine and those several friends who have Z10s

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
jagibson

I was getting about 10 hours the first few charges. I charged it yesterday at noon, used it all day/evening for texts, a few calls and lots of facebook, bbm convo, photos and some email and I am sitting about 50% right now. I turned it off from 1 am to 8 am ( I REALLY miss the auto turn off feature, I had my Torch set to turn off from midnight to 7 am every night,  but its really my only complaint)