Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
elmi
My Device: Bold 9700, Z10
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to use the virtual touchscreen keyboard while an HID barcode scanner is connected?

Hello everybody!

I'm planning to build a web application for the BlackBerry Z10 with which you can scan bar codes for inventory management. For this I would like to use a KDC200 Bluetooth laser bar code scanner. I have previously used this bar code scanner along with the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and a Java application using the net.rim.device.api.bluetooth.BluetoothSerialPortListener. The scanner was then set to SPP mode (Serial Port Profile) and this solution has worked fine.

Now with the BlackBerry Z10, I connect the Bluetooth bar code scanner as an HID device because SPP seems not to be supported by the Z10 (?). With SPP no connection can be established at all. This connection type setting (SPP/HID) can be switched on the scanner device. When the scanner is connected as an HID, the value of the scanned barcode is correctly written to the focused input field on the BlackBerry. But now there is a drawback: As long as the HID scanner is connected, the virtual touchscreen keyboard of the Z10 is disabled and does not appear when you tap on an input field - in any application.

Are these input methods (HID vs. virtual keyboard) mutually exclusive or is there a way to get the virtual keyboard to work while the HID scanner is connected? In my web form there are both a barcode field and normal input fields, e.g. to first scan a barcode and then manually enter a quantity.

btw: For ergonomic reasons, it is not intended to capture the barcodes via the camera of the smartphone. In addition, the solution should be implemented in the form of a web application.

Is there any chance?

Best regards.

Contributor
vrobison
My Device: Blackberry 10

Re: Is it possible to use the virtual touchscreen keyboard while an HID barcode scanner is connected?

Did you try the two fingered salute?  Swipe up from the bottom of the screen with two fingers to open the keyboard.  I found this worked when the keyboard failed to show up on input fields on some websites.

New Contributor
elmi
My Device: Bold 9700, Z10

Re: Is it possible to use the virtual touchscreen keyboard while an HID barcode scanner is connected?

Thank you very much, vrobison! This solution works for me.