Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Is my Phone being tracked

Just wondering , if i keep my location services off, can someone still track my movements?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Re: Is my Phone being tracked

Your carrier can always track you.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor
My Device: Z10

Thank you, however i saw a friend of mine tracking someone on an Iphone using google maps, so i got freaked out, hence the question...

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Various apps ask for location services and if you have that enabled on your device they are able to take advantage of knowing where you are.

This is for your convenience to allow targetted app responses, such as a restaurant near by, etc.

However recent news has shown that a lot of companies keep this information and can make it available to authorities on request so if you are worried about your partner keeping track of you, disable location services.

If you are up to more nefarious activities leave your phone at home. Smiley Happy

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

This big brother garbage is making me not want to have a cell phone.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181
My Carrier: Optus

A Parent or Legal Guardian can trace a dependants cellphone via the service provider within certain jurisdictions and under particular circumstances. This is not dependant upon location services being enabled, or so I'm led to believe.
Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

This is correct Location Services do not need to be turned on for your phone to be tracked, triangulation can be attained from nearby cell towers and the time it takes for a signal to get to each, however you would hope that this information is not routinely tracked and saved. Some conspiracists even believe it's possible to turn on GPS tracking on your phone remotely, who knows.

I should think only countries with oppressive governments do it, say... countries such as... America. ;-)

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

USA does in fact track all cell phones via triangulation and that info is stored in a database but can not be used in a court of law as it is active.

USA also does a infrared track of the whole country as well as taking high res pictures. They can see the dimples on a gold ball from orbit.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V