Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Luckee
My Carrier: Rogers

Keyboard Bug - PLEASE HELP!

[ Edited ]

I've purchased my Z10 less than 1 week ago and I've noticed this problem the very next day. At first I assumed it was a small problem and it wouldn't happen often but it's been occuring EVERY DAY at least once and it's gotten really irritating now. 

The virtual keyboard on the Z10 works perfectly fine, the buttons dont stick, spell check is working properly and I'm able to type with this keyboard with no problems, HOWEVER for some odd reason the keyboard STOPS functioning sometimes while I'm sending an SMS. The keyboard is still visible, I'm still able to press the buttons on the keyboard as they become highlighted whenever I do. However, no actual letter/character appears in the message box no matter how many buttons I press. The only thing which seems to temporarily fix this problem is restarting my blackberry Z10 device which can be very annoying and time consuming.

Please help me out with this problem as I have tried searching online for days and can't find a solution. Is this a problem with the Z10 software? will there be an update fixing this? am I the only one experiencing this problem?

Please note that I have not once dropped my phone, it's been kept in MINT condition with a case on it. Everything else works perfectly fine with my Z10, this is the only MAJOR issue

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt

Re: Keyboard Bug - PLEASE HELP!

First I have heard of this kind of issue.

If you swipe down on the keyboard with two fingers, does it minimize?

If it does properly minimize, if you then touch in the text box, does it come back?

If it does come back, can you type?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Arsen
My Carrier: Bell

I had a problem with the keyboard with a scientific calculator I downloaded from My World, that would not input my keys.  I uninstalled it and re-installed it, problem went away. But with yours, it's on the OS level. You might want to try to pull the battery out and restart if you already have not done so. The other best option is to do a security wipe and restore OS back to factory default. This option is now availalbe in the new version of the BB Link.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Luckee

Thanks for replying back so soon! I've never tried swiping the keyboard with two fingers, once it happens again today I will try it and post the results for other users. 

I've pulled out the battery, this does fix the problem however it's only a temporary fix as the problem occurs again eventually.

I called my service provider and spoke with the technical side and they told me they've received other calls with the same problem, and in order to fix it I just have to perform a wipe back to factory settings. I'm currently at work so if all else fails I will try this later today and post the results

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Luckee

I tried swiping with two fingers and typing again and it doesn't fix the problem. I will try a factory wipe later

Please use plain text.
Contributor
thorstenfixplease
My Carrier: O2

known glitch. Well, I say known.. as in.. you'd expect the RIM idiots to know about it, given how easy it is to replicated. Begs the question how they didn't notice it in the 2 years of handset/OS development:

Spell a word incorrectly. Tap the red underlined word. If the Z10 doesn't have any suggestions for you, for whatever reason, the keyboard will hang. You can tap it, it just won't actually input anything.

Only fix is to reboot the device.

Workaround? Don't use the spell correction feature.

www.thorstenfixplease.co.uk

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt

I just tried exactly what you said. Mis-spelled a word (easy for me) , hit the red underlined word, it popped up a window that said 'no suggestions', I tapped at the end of my sentence and carried on typing. No hang up at all.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mkarteek

Hi,
I have purchased BB Z10 which works perfectly for me. But from last week, for some odd reason the keyboard stopped working. The keyboard is still visible, I'm still able to press the buttons on the keyboard as they become highlighted whenever I do. However, no actual letter/character appears in the message box no matter how many buttons I press.
I have restarted as well as reloaded the BB Z10.1 OS couple of times using BB Link but no luck !!
FYI... I am still able to receive calls but cannot place a call because my phone is protected with a device password which I am unable to unlock it.
Anyone, who had overcome this issue... please respond ASAP. I am unable to unlock my phone and currently not able to use it. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.