Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Keyboard input not working

Hi, I just got a z!0 and it was working fine for half the day, then I recieved a text message and the gtalk app would no longer open, and the keyboard refuses to enter any text. It makes the keypress tone when I press a key, so it's registering the keypress, but the input field remains empty. This is across all applications.

I have since removed the gtalk app and rebooted the device, both through the software and with a battery pull and I cannot seem to get the keyboard to enter any text.

Contributor

Re: Keyboard input not working

Okay, to make things even stranger. I have been testing some things out. It appears that my keyboard stops working after opening one particular SMS message.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

Can you do a screen capture of the problem and post it here (Press volume up and down at the same time). Also try to delete that 1 sms message..

Contributor

A screen capture won't provide any more information.

It loads everything as if it were replying correctly, but then pressing a key on the keyboard doesn't add the character to the input. It works fine so long as I don't load that one person. Anyone else works fine, as soon as I open that one contact's texts, it kills all inputs for the entire device, be it Twitter, Facebook, the browser url/search bar, a password field, anything.

I tried deleting the most current one (when the issue popped up) but it made no difference. It could be some previous one taht is causing the problem, or the contact itself. (I can't see why the SMS message would cause the issue though).

Contributor

Another interesting note. I connected my Logitech K810 bluetooth keyboard. I worked fine until I opened that particular contact. As soon as that happens it also no longer allows input to input fields.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Blackberry Playbook 64gb
My Carrier: Bell

It sounds like that contact is somehow currupted. This could have happened when transfering your contacts from old device from BB Link.   Delete the contact from you list,  then restart z10 just incase it needs to be flushed out. Then create a new contact again on the z10. If you use outlook, you can forward any contact via email as .vcard, once you receive the email on the z10, click on it and it will add to your contacts. 

Contributor

The contact wasn't transferred by link. It's from my synced contacts.

For the purposes of testing anything and everything, I had already tried removing and readding the contact. I tried a reboot in between this time, and it still results in the same problem.

Contributor

Upon clearing the conversation, the contact becomes unaffected.

With the "ignore spell check for words with numbers" option set to 'off', entering a date such as March 9th will cause the keyboard to become inopperable as soon as the 'h' of '9th' is entered.

Tried it twice in both BBM and an SMS with the same result.

Turning the option to 'on' allows correct usage of the device after a reboot, but this bug doesn't make any sense.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Same thing has been happening to me, and you're right, it' "ignore words with numbers" is OFF, it stops working right away if i use a work with a number. I'm glad i finally found a way to stop this from happening.

Such a weird bug.

Contributor

I just confirmed that this still happens after Rogers' 10.0.10.85 update.