Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: China Mobile

Lack of standard VPN support on BlackBerry

The way BlackBerry handles VPN especially for consumers are stuck in the last century. Wether the corporation needs BES added into their IT system is their call. But tons of corporation relies on IPSec L2TP or PPTP VPN for their employees to access internal network or emails. These protocols are industry standards for ages. Simply by only offering options for BES is a closed loop. Not to mention when you travel internationally to countries censors websites like Twitter, FaceBook, YouTube.
Enterprise SME
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Lack of standard VPN support on BlackBerry

You can manually add VPN's by going to your settings->network connections->VPN and tapping the add button.

Contributor
My Device: Z10 • Z30 • PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 Network UK

How do you add a PPTP VPN connection?
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I suspect based on your long rant that you haven't looked into the VPN settings on the phone. IPsec has been supported to a number of different vendors' head-end devices for several versions of the BB OS now. This is, of course, applicable to WiFi networks.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: China Mobile

Eric I sure did look at the VPN settings. Unfortunately BB uses the limited vendor devices based setup such as Cisco etc. This only works with specific setup on the VPN server end. Most commercial VPN providers uses vendor neutral setup through L2TP IPSec or less secure PPTP. And they are not supported on BB. I suggest you actually trying to set one up on your BB before calling anything is untrue rant. Not just look at the settings and see the word VPN and L2TP are there. Cheers.
Enterprise SME
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Currently PPTP isn't supported.  It should be coming through a future update.

Contributor
My Device: Z10 • Z30 • PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 Network UK

-BD-, I really hope the update will come sooner rather than later. I've been waiting for over a year for the ability to connect to a PPTP VPN server on my PlayBook.

Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure I would agree with you that L2TP and PPTP are "new" and current standards.

The real and only current IPSEC standard is ESP/AH using ISAKMP (UDP port 500) to negotiate and possibly offering NAT-T (IPSEC-over-UDP on port 4500) for those scenarios where ESP/AH doesn't work for for you.

L2TP and PPTP are not the best standards to be using for a VPN they each have their own problems that IPSEC addresses. Those problems can be rooted in their use of PPP like framing and Path MTU issues and lack of ability for an border router to perform NAT on individual sessions. These problems don't exist with IPSEC.

The only vendors pushing L2TP and PP2P as a standard is Microsoft and even their recent Windows Servers have moved to using the proper IPSEC standard as listed above, but they obviously support the _legacy_ L2TP and PPTP standards because that was the default in the Windows 2000 era and Microsoft have always been good to keep backwards compatiblity.

My question to the forum is can anyone confirm exactly which IPSEC type(s) are supported on the BB10 platform ?

Am I correct in saying ESP/AH using ISAKMP ?

Does it support NAT-T (IPSEC-over-UDP) ?

Does it support Cisco's (IPSEC-over-TCP usually port 10000) ?

Does it require any additional software/license from BlackBerry to use (not including the VPN equipment at the other end) ?

Does it require BES ?

[EDIT - At least forum lets me edit it, but forum software must be buggy since it allows me to put back the original formatting when I went back to edit post, with the original reply submit it removed all end-of-lines.]

Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone

No idea where my nice formatting went (rich text obviously isn't really Rich Text is it!)
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9380
My Carrier: Telenor

[ Edited ]

Check www.supervpn.net/blackberry-vpn.html they offer VPN Service for all Blackberry devices from Blackberry OS 7.0 to 10.0