Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
Jjang
My Device: Passport

Looking for tips on improving battery life

Ok. I'm on my 3rd blackberry and I am sure it isn't a bad device now. (Telusmobility replaced my z10 twice now) When I first got the third device it had a full charge and lasted longer than it does now. 1 week later. Every change has been from zero to full My configuration. I have 2 active sync accounts running. 1 in my work space and 1 in my personal space I have linked in configured (and active in the hub) I do NOT have Facebook or twitter loaded I do have wifi configured and it is almost always on a wifi network (home and office) I do have NFC and Bluetooth always on. I am told it isn't drawing much power when not in use. I do use Bluetooth in my car. About 30 minutes a day I have the screen set to 20 seconds I have the brightness down to the bottom Push is on for both of my email accounts I have tried turning things off. Busch as NFC and Bluetooth but it doesn't seem to make a difference I get 6hrs if I am lucky. I only make about 15 minutes of phone calls throughout the day buti do receive a lot of emails. In comparison on my bold, I easily got 1 day of usage. Now I get a half or a third of the day Any suggestions out there?
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Looking for tips on improving battery life

One suggestion I've seen from a couple of other Z10 users who were also reporting bad battery life is to transfer the data from your media card to your computer, then format your media card in your Z10. Once this is done, you can redownload the files back onto the media card.

Does that help?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Jjang

Thank you but no.   I don't have a media or so card installed 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Then the other option is to try a new microSIM card. I'm a fairly heavy BB user and while my Z10 isn't up to the same battery life as my old Torch yet, I can now usually make it through most of the day without a charge (only exception is if I'm playing games, etc on it).

The reason for thinking this is that if changing out the phone hasn't fixed done anything, then it almost has to be something external to the device. So if not the media card, then the next most likely thing is the SIM card.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Jjang

Can anyone talk about the drain of leaving certain services on but unused. Such as

- bluetooth

- nfc

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

I leave mine on and don't have a big impact on battery life. If you don't use NFC, it can give you a few extra minutes of battery life, but that's all. Bluetooth uses more, but still, it's not enough to cause the issues you've been seeing.

There are two things I've done to help with battery life:

1. Turn down the screen brightness to ~33%

2. Change the network settings to HSPA/UMTS only because my LTE signal at home is a bit weak and so the phone was searching for better signal too often.

I know that for me, the second option has given me a bit better battery life, but just barely enough of a difference to notice.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
greggov

I'd also suggest a case such as one of the holsters, pockets, or the flip shell case. These have a magnet in them that put the device to sleep. I just got the flip shell case a few days ago and I'm starting to notice better battery life.

Another thing I saw in the CB forums was to turn off the 'swipe gestures when locked'. The device is basically keeping bezel on when the device is off so that I can pick up the swipe to turn it on. If this is off you'd need to use the lock button on top to turn the screen on, and then you can swipe. I can't confirm this works, but a few users on CB seem to claim that they're noticing better battery life.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Jjang

I know for me it isn't the month network.   

Last night with a full charge at midnight I turned everything off but wifi

At 7am the unit was fully dead

Please use plain text.
Contributor
brock-n
My Device: Playbook, Z10

Perhaps try disabling one email account at a time and see if one or the other is staying too active.  If you're pushing mail to the device and getting a huge amount of it, the device will be active for longer than typical.  Also, I think there was a setting to download attachments automatically so they're there to see when you read the message.  If that is on, you'll probably draw the battery down faster than with it off.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PCRescueSJ
My Device: Z10

woah .. something is weird.

I have been on the verge or returning mine but it was not that bad.

I did a test last night. With my phone fully charged, 3g mode (HSPA+/UMTS), nfc off, wifi off, locating off, bluetooth off - it lasted on a phone call for 6 hours.

I called me wife's cell and put mine infront of a radio.

363mins and 7 seconds until it died.

to me its acceptable to turn off wifi and nfc as those are items that I don't "need" to still function as a smartphone. 

location service ... again, no biggie. I can specify where I am.

And I have 2 gmail accounts (calendar and mail) synching.

If I had bluetooth on ... it would be interesting to see what kind of hit that takes on battery.

Please use plain text.