Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
crazylegshinch
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Major Issues With Contacts

I'm extremely frustrated right now. The contacts on my Z10 have been messed up and no matter what I do to try to fix them, nothing works. Contacts are going missing, they are being merged with other contacts, their names are inexplicably changing and my setting for notifications always switch back to default. I put everything back, and it all starts getting screwy again within hours.

I'm running the latest official 10.1 release from Bell. My situation before was that all of my contacts sync with my Gmail Contacts, and this was working more or less fine. Facebook would sometimes override information with the stuff it had, but besides being a little annoying, I could always unlink the profile if I wanted. Since I updated and installed Skype (I uninstalled the Skype preview app and the problem persists), Contacts will merge two completely unrelated contacts sometimes. Other times contact will disappear completely or their name will change. If I try to change it back, instead of changing the information, it creates a "local contact" link and doesn't fix the rest of the contact profile. And no matter how many times I set a custom ringtone, they always go back to "default".

I like my Z10 and I've loved blackberry for a lot of years. But if I can't keep my contacts organized and correct, the phone isn't very useful to me. Any ideas or suggestions (or at least confirmation that this is a known bug that is being worked on) would be helpful and appreciated . Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: Major Issues With Contacts

[ Edited ]

The problems you have seem to come from "mixing" the contacts from different sources.

Try to do the following: In the contact list, go to settings. Set all the accounts (Twitter, Facebook, BBM etc.) to off except your email account.

Also, UNTICK the option called "Find More Contact Details".

If you have this options ticked, it will try to "enhance" your contacts with details found in the "Cloud".

Since I have unticked this setting, I have clean contacts.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
crazylegshinch

I'll try unchecking that option. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

[ Edited ]

I hope it solves your problem. If it does, please mark my previous answer as solution. This helps others with the same issue.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
crazylegshinch

It was worth a try, and it seemed to work. But as soon as I started manually linking my gmail contacts to BMM contacts, they started bugging out and merging them with other unrelated contacts. I do appreciate the suggestion, and at least it is not doing it by itself now, but I would be nice to be able to figure out why I can't link contacts properly.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
crazylegshinch

This morning I noticed that my contacts had, again, all reverted back to default notifications rather than the custom settings that I had chosen for each.

I'm considering doing a security wipe and starting out fresh when I have the time to see if the problems persist on a fresh install.

Please use plain text.