Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
ahmed_mh1
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Maps on BlackBerry Z10

Hi BlackBerry

I'm very impressed with the new BlackBerry Z10 device with its new features, display resolution, keyboard typing and gestures, but I have a big issue with the Maps on BlackBerry Z10. 

I'm currently in Kuwait, and the native Maps app for my BB 10 tells me that mapping data are not available for my location. I cannot even see streets, only a plain sea and land. I appreciate if you update the native mapping application on BB 10 to have the same functions like what we see and read about the native maps app for BB 10 in  Europe and US, including directions, and turn by turn navigation.

The best maps and navigation software for mobile devices currently is the Google maps, which includes all those features and is currently available on Google Maps native maps for Android phones, and Google Maps app on Apple AppStore (as still Apple is facing issues with its new mapping app on iOS 6 as I know).

I think this will be big push to BlackBerry if you update the native maps app on BB 10 to have the same functions and capabilities all over the world, and not to be unavailable in some regions or countries. I hope also to find a way to introduce Google maps on BlackBerry world as well along with upgrading the native maps app on BB 10 (which I read that it is based on TomTom mapping database). This will provide the user the ultimate navigation experience when both Google & TomTom mapping database are available on BB 10.

But as introducing Google Maps on BlackBerry World should be developed by Google themselves (as far as I know), I hope that BlackBerry should do its part in updating its native Maps app as stated earlier to provide the whole regions and coutries accross the world with the same maps and navigation experience.

Thanks and Regards;

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: Maps on BlackBerry Z10

Open Google search. Search for Google Maps. Click on the Google Maps link and let it run as web based.  Once working you may have to click on a yellow banner that indicates to approve the fonts don't match even though they do.

Save the web page shorcut by tapping on the three dots button at the bottom right. Tap on Add to Home Screen. Now once you tap on save, you will have an installed Google icon that will let you have access to their maps.

This worked for me here in North America. I would be guessing, but I would think it should work where you are.

In the Google maps you have to use the + and  - to zoom in and out. You will learn the menus to know how to use the software.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey ahmed_mh1,

Thanks for the feedback! We definitely appreciate it.

As of right now I have no information if Google Maps will be available in BlackBerry World.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ahmed_mh1

Hi ViciousFerret & Jerry G.

Thanks for your feedback. I have installed the web access of Google maps as advised by Jerry, and it works. But this is only a temporary solution, as this does not include the turn by turn voice navagation capabilities as the case is with Google Maps and Navigation apps on both Android & iOS. Also, I read that the BlackBerry native Map app contains this navagation capabilities, but it is still not working in my region.

That is why I appreciate if BlackBerry can consider seriously to update its mapping database for all regions in the world (including voice navigation capabilities).

Also, I beleive it will be a big push to BlackBerry world if BlackBerry can attract & convince Google to develop all its Google applications for BlackBerry World (e.g. Google Maps, Youtube, Google+, Google Current, Google Translate, .....etc). I really hope BlackBerry to consider this seriously.

Thanks a lot.

Regards;

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Supply_tech
My Device: z10

Blackberry have to work hard with this maps or maybe have to make a deal with google for maps im thinking positive you people can do the job and make bb os10 a wonderfull OS, just have to make a good system of apps make better apps its your goal. by the way congratulation for the BB Z10 beautiful phone.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ahmed_mh1

I completely agree with what you said about Google maps and a complete renovation of BlackBerry World apps to include at least in its initial stage the most popular and used apps worldwide (not only in US).

If BlackBerry does so (especially and more with mush more significance and emphasis on its BlackBerry World apps, which are very poor currently), the BlackBerry 10 and it's OS will jump miles ahead in the smartphone race among its rivals.

Hope you are listening BlackBerry, I cannot make use of the Z10 completely because of its poor apps on BlackBerry World.

Don't lose the positive impression and market that you gained by launching the fantastic BlackBerry Z10 because of absence of good and popular apps, act quickly please BlackBerry.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Supply_tech
My Device: z10

well i think this is the only way blackberry can see what is happend with his users, so dont waste our money and our time becase we are trust in you people, for you its more than just money its a consecration, im sure later will have your award$$$ for the effort.

Please use plain text.
Manuelb26
My Device: Z10

Open Google maps on the web browser on your device.  There the map would work and show your location.  I am in Haiti and it works here.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ThierryGrellier
My Device: dev alpha

you may use nokia maps m.here.com if not google...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ThierryGrellier
My Device: dev alpha

I'm a bit unhappy with the map issue though. Because of the infered roaming charge when traveling... It is true I use a OS 10.1 that is leaked because blackberry is not distributed in my country so no hope from the local telco, but I don't understand why it affects the feature. And with a end user hat, I can only see a  subpar support of maps...
At least I can use nokia drive on my wife's lumia 920 when I'm with her.

Please use plain text.