Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
wifisher
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

May have bricked my Z10

Went to update my Z10 to the latest 10.2.1 release yesterday. It downloaded ok, but an error occurred during the install - it displayed a message with a cancel button. The phone would not allow anything to be selected but allowed the settings app to be minimized. I was unable to select any apps at this time, but could swipe between screens of apps.

Ended up rebooting it. When it came back up it automatically went into install step 2 of 2. Left it alone for a while. When I came back to it, it was flashing the red led in a 1-4 pattern. I tried hard resetting it a few times with the same result. Hooked it up to BlackBerry Link. Link said it was able to connect to it, but reload, etc eventually always came back with a connection error.

After a while fooling around with BlackBerry Link, the phone switch over to flashing the red led twice but only after holding the power button for about 10 seconds.

I tried the autoloader, but it won't connect.

So, I am looking for advice on what to try next.

I'm not sure what the red led flashes mean. Internet searches found that 2 led flashes on the Playbook mean low battery. Not sure if it means the same on BB10.

Thanks for any advice,

Wayne

Fisherlea Systems
www.fisherlea.com
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: May have bricked my Z10

I think you'll have to try more trial and error. Remove your battery before connecting your phone to Link and try that. Eventually, Link should recognize your phone and see that a proper OS is not installed and will proceed to guide you through the process.

I know you've tried many different things but this will be a matter of try, try again until something catches. In my experience of doing this, eventually something will work but I'm not sure of any one thing to suggest to you at this point.

Keep us up to date.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
wifisher

So far, no luck.

I tried several iterations with the battery out. Link comes back after a minute or so and asks to reset the device by holding the power button for 10s. I tried that, not doing it, inserting the battery, etc but Link eventually always comes back that it can't establish a connection with the device... :smileysad:

Any other ideas?

Wayne

Fisherlea Systems
www.fisherlea.com
Forums Advisor III
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30.

You may have to "bypass" the Blackberry Link.... here is how:

• Make sure you don't have any BlackBerry software running on your PC (BlackBerry Link and BlackBerry Desktop Software)
  • Detach BlackBerry 10 device that you are going to restore.
  • Using Internet Explorer navigate to www.BlackBerry.com/updates then scroll down the page and select the Check for Updates button.
  • Connect the BlackBerry 10 device you want to restore
  • Hold the power button for 10 seconds until the device turns off, then press the power button again so it turns on.
  • A prompt will appear and the BlackBerry smartphone will show in the drop down list on your PC shortly after the LED lights up (it could show up as USB: UNKNOWN or USB: BlackBerry (PIN) – both are normal/fine).
  • Click the OK Button as soon as it becomes enabled - you only have a few seconds to do this!
  • Once the above steps are completed successfully a dialog will be displayed stating Checking for BlackBerry Device Software updates
  • Your device power itself off after two minutes. Shortly after, the device LED should turn green.
  • Continue to wait after the LED turns green and you will be prompted to install BlackBerry Device Software. Follow the prompts to install the BlackBerry Software and finish the software installation

Contributor
wifisher

No luck. The (green) led never comes on.

The only time I see the led flash is after 10 seconds of holding the power button. It will flash red, twice. Or if I have the battery out and connect the USB cable; it will flash red once.

I never see any indications that it is starting to boot.

I tried what you suggested, but the OK button never becomes enabled...

So, still stuck.

Thanks for your help so far,

Wayne

Fisherlea Systems
www.fisherlea.com
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Your battery may be dead or damaged...there is a minimum charge required in the battery in order for any functionality to exist, even when on a charger.

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
wifisher

It doesn't appear to be the battery.

I swapped batteries with a neighbor who has a Z10. Her Z10 booted up fine with my battery. My Z10 behaved as before with her almost fully charged battery - no LEDs, no booting, etc.

Her Z10 reported my battery at 28% and it charged to the mid-30s in her phone before we swapped back.

I think that this should rule out the battery. Its looking more and more like the phone itself.

Wayne

Fisherlea Systems
www.fisherlea.com
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Agreed...based on what you report, your battery is likely fine so it's your BB that is the root cause. Given that you report that you've already been unsucecssful with all known methods for end-user recovery (LINK, Update Website, AutoLoader), I think it's time for professional help. If you remain in warranty, seek support under those terms. If you have no warranty, then seek a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB hardware technician to give you a proper diagnosis and estimate.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code