Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
vlechtsel
My Carrier: Cytamobile-Vodafone

Messages sent using z10 do not display correctly on the recipient's device

I’ve had my z10 for about three weeks. I use three different languages on it, English, Dutch and Greek. All messages using the Latin alphabet (e-mails and SMS texts) using any of my e-mail accounts are displayed properly on the recipient's device (phone or computer). If my text is in Greek the text displayed on the recipient’s screen may be partly unreadable (i.e. some characters appear as e.g. =cf, =ab, ??). In  one case an e-mail I sent arrived at the recipient’s computer as a solid black block with nothing visible. This seems to happen every 5-6 e-mails or SMS messages written in Greek. I don’t know if this is related but if I write an SMS in Greek (mixed lower and upper case characters) when it gets sent out all letters are automatically capitalised. Sms messages which I receive are not all capitalised but display properly.

Any ideas? Is this a bug in the software? I’ve been using blackberries since 2006 and never had any language issues before.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
SmoothRider

Re: Messages sent using z10 do not display correctly on the recipient's device

Hello vlechtsel, 

Welcome to the forums. 

I would suggest you contact your mobile network provider and ask that your issue be escalated to BlackBerry for investigation. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vlechtsel

SR,  thank you. I'll contact my telco. I'll post any results as soon as I have them.

Vlechtsel

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret

Hey vlechtsel,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for reaching out to me.

This issue is caused by the SMTP server.  Go into Settings>Accounts on the BlackBerry Z10 and open your email account. 

You will need to change the SMTP server to one that requires a username and password.  You can contact your internet service provider to gather one.

Once this information is inputted, test by sending a new email message.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vlechtsel

VF,

Thank you for your reply. I'm already using an smtp server with a username and password on my hosted service but I don't think I can do much about Gmail, Yahoo or sms texts! I've also contacted my telco and they were not of much use.

Messaging is at the heart of the blackberry experience but BB seems to have failed in this with the z10/bb10. The z10/bb10 is an interesting device/platform but it feels like work in progress and not a finalised product. An end user shouldn't need a degree in computer science to make it work! Messaging is not the only issue with this phone but it's the most limiting one and there doesn't seem to be a solution in sight. I'll give BB a couple more weeks to see if they fix this otherwise it's time to move to another platform (I really don't want to but as it stands the z10 is not a reliable machine for professional use).

BB is causing dedicated customers to move to other platforms by not openly addressing serious issues with the z10. I personally know of three long-term users who have switched to the iPhone after I shared my experience with them and a couple more are waiting to see if BB will step up and do something about the z10.

Please use plain text.