Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Missing Feature - Repeat Notifications

First - I'm going to refer in this post to the original, java-based, pre-QNX Blackberry OS as "Classic".   If there is another term for this that people are using, please let me know. 

Okay.    So Classic Blackberry has several features that are not in BB10 and I feel these are "missing".   Meaning, either the development team just forgot to include them, or they didn't have time to include them yet but are working on it, or they decided they weren't necessary, in which case then they have "missed" the mark with regard to what their consumers want.   So in all cases, they are MISSING.

Some of these have been discussed in other posts -- bedside mode, custom profiles, Auto On/Off...I'm sure there's others I'm not thinking of at the moment. 

One that I haven't seen mentioned though is the repeat option for sounds.  "Count" as it appears on the profile when editing.   For me, this is a huge one.   I WANT and I NEED this feature!   Why?  Because I use it at some point every single day.    

I do a LOT of text messaging with my phone -- it's really the main thing I use a phone for.   (Last month:  15 minutes of voice.  640 text messages.)    Numerous times per day, I will be driving in the car with radio loud, or watching television with my phone in another room, or I'm in the kitchen and the microwave is running, or the dishwasher, or whatever.   And I'll think I heard my text message sound.   I'll hit mute on the car radio, or the tv for a second, and in a few seconds, the sound will play again (or not), and I'll know I have a message.   Very useful feature in Classic that is not in BB10.

There's a third-party App available that has a "repeat" feature, which I am currently using, but this is not quite the same -- in this app, the sound will repeat endlessly until you read the message.    Better than missing it altogether, but REALLY annoying when I'm in the middle of something else more important and can't (or don't want to) read the text right then and there.  

For me, I have my Count set to 3 and this is perfect for me.   It gives me enough time to mute something or move closer to the phone when it's in another room to confirm a new text has arrived , but not so many repeats as to set my teeth on edge when I'm busy.   

Blackberry -- PLEASE BRING BACK THIS FEATURE!

Solutions: 6,269
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Missing Feature - Repeat Notifications

kurtschwanz wrote:

First - I'm going to refer in this post to the original, java-based, pre-QNX Blackberry OS as "Classic".   If there is another term for this that people are using, please let me know. 

Classic = Legacy Devices = BBOS

vs BB10 devices.

I agree with your post. Good points.

I keep having to remember that in the beginning and since, Mr. Heins commented many times that BB10 OS was created from the ground up. At times, I assume those "creators" or developers had never ever never used a BlackBerry device.

That, or as many have commented, they're playing catch up to introduce those "legace" features in upcoming upgrades.

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Same complaint.  I need this simple feature. What 3rd party app does this?

KMatthew wrote:

Same complaint.  I need this simple feature. What 3rd party app does this?

Try BeBuzz, it does I believe. I will ask around and see... I am not using BeBuzz myself.

ALSO:  You have your mobile phone number listed as your "My Mobile Provider" or carrier. Putting your phone number out on the internet on these public forums for the world to see, is not wise. To change that, at the top of this page click on My Settings > Personal Profile > Personal Information, and in the entry block for "Carrier" type the name of your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks!
New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Has BlackBerry corrected this issue yet?

Although BeBuzz is OK; I'd rather choose my own notification sounds than have to use one of theirs.

Reg_A wrote:

Has BlackBerry corrected this issue yet?

Although BeBuzz is OK; I'd rather choose my own notification sounds than have to use one of theirs.

Please explain what you need... you want to choose notification sounds for WHAT apps?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Calendar, text, email. 

I'm in the snow removal business in the winter, and sometimes, after having worked 18-20 hrs straight, I may sleep soundly.

Clients may email or text me and when there is no repeat function on the emails or texts, I don't hear them.

I need to have a system where I must acknowledge either of these apps (hopefully only by pressing the top power button or the side volume buttons, before the reminder turns off

New Contributor

BeBuzz has its own notificationsounds that are different from the BlackBerry sounds, or the ones I downloaded.. I've used the same sounds for email, text, and calendar as far back as a Palm Treo 90.

OK, yes, you can choose your own notification sounds for notifications, calendar events, etc., from within the Z10 itself, not in BeBuzz.

Knowledge Base Updates